|World Series of Poker|
Main Event finish
Michael Gathy is a professional poker player who won World Series of Poker bracelets at the 2012 and 2013 World Series of Poker. He was the first World Series turbo event winner and the second Belgian bracelet winner. He is one of two Belgians with multiple bracelets.
Gathy had been a medical student prior to becoming a professional poker player. He learned to play poker online from a website that gave him $50 to begin. He started reading poker articles while learning to play.
Gathy defeated a final table that included former bracelet winners John Esposito and Eric Baldwin to win the 2,799-entrant $1,000 No Limit Hold'em 2012 World Series of Poker Event 21. With 2,799 entrants, it was one of the largest events of the 2012 World Series. This victory made Gathy the second ever Belgian bracelet-winner (following Davidi Kitai who earned one in the $2,000 Pot-Limit Hold'em 2008 World Series of Poker Event 38) according to the WSOP. It was just the second World Series of Poker event he had ever competed in. When Gathy won the 1,629-entrant $1,000 Turbo No Limit Hold'em 2013 World Series of Poker Event 34 against a final table that included Jake Cody and Jason Duval, it marked the first World Series of Poker bracelet ever awarded for a turbo event. He was wearing the same green T-shirt on the day that he won both of his first two bracelets. Gathey joined Kitai, who won the $5,000 Pot Limit Hold'em 2013 World Series of Poker Event 19, as the only Belgian multiple bracelet winners.
World Series of Poker
|2012||$1,000 No Limit Hold'em||$440,829|
|2013||$1,000 Turbo No Limit Hold'em||$278,613|
|2016||$5,000 Six-Handed No Limit Hold'em||$560,843|
- Dalla, Nolan (June 21, 2013). "Michael Gathy Wins Second Gold Bracelet". World Series of Poker. Retrieved July 8, 2013.
- McAdam, Rebecca (December 19, 2011). "Michaël Gathy Wins Belgian Poker Series Grand Final: Belgian Tops Field In Grand Final Main Event Held In Namur". Card Player. Retrieved July 7, 2013.
- Feldman, Andrew (June 14, 2012). "Belgian Gathy wins massive $1K". ESPN. Retrieved July 7, 2013.
- Pempus, Brian (June 13, 2012). "Michael Gathy Wins WSOP $1,000 No-Limit Hold'em: Beats Out Large Field of 2,799 to Win $440,829". Card Player. Retrieved July 7, 2013.
- Schult, Steve (June 13, 2012). "WSOP: Michael Gathy Wins $1,000 No Limit Hold'em, $440,829". Bluff. Archived from the original on October 21, 2013. Retrieved July 7, 2013.
- Davis, Bethany (June 21, 2013). "World Series Of Poker -- Michael Gathy Wins First Ever Turbo Event: Gathy Wins His Second Bracelet and Second For Belgium This Summer". Card Player. Retrieved July 7, 2013.
- Feldman, Andrew (June 21, 2013). "Gathy wins second bracelet in turbo". ESPN. Retrieved July 7, 2013.