Michael Gibbs (composer)
He studied piano from the age of seven till he was 13, and took up trombone at 17. In 1959 he moved to Boston to study at the Berklee College of Music and the Boston Conservatory. At Berklee he studied under and worked with Herb Pomeroy. He graduated from Berklee in 1962 and the conservatory in 1963. In 1965 he returned to what was then Southern Rhodesia, but later was associated with the United Kingdom.
From 1969 to 1974 Gibbs was musical director for the BBC TV comedy programme The Goodies. When he left the UK to take up a teaching position at Berklee, the musical director post was filled by Dave MacRae, a member of the band Gibbs had led in recording funk rock music for the show.
Albums as leader/co-leader
- Michael Gibbs (1970, Deram)
- Tanglewood 63 (1971, Deram)
- Just Ahead (1972, Polydor)
- In The Public Interest (1974, Polydor)
- Seven Songs for Quartet and Chamber Orchestra (1974, ECM)
- The Only Chrome Waterfall Orchestra (1975, Bronze)
- Big Music (1988, Venture/Virgin)
- By The Way (1993, ah um)
- Europeana (1995, ACT)
- Nonsequence (2001, Provocateur)
- Mike Gibbs + 12 play Gil Evans (2013, Whirlwind Recordings)
- Madame Sin (1972)
- Housekeeping (1987, Varèse Sarabande/MCA)
- Iron & Silk (1990, The Fine Line/Mute)
- Close My Eyes (1991)
- Century (1993)
- Hard-Boiled (1993, The Fine Line/Mute)
- Being Human (1993, Varèse Sarabande/MCA)
- Century/Close My Eyes (1994, The Fine Line/Mute)
- Mike Gibbs Official Site for Compositions and Arrangements
- Goodies Podcast - audio interview with Mike Gibbs recorded 6 March 2010.
- Interview for Cheltenham Jazz Festival, 9 April 2013.