He graduated from Denison University with a B.A. degree and from Kent State University with an M.A. and a Ph.D. degree. He began teaching at St. Mary's College of Maryland in 1970, retired and became a professor emeritus in 2008. He lives in St. Mary's City with his wife, and is the father of five grown children and grandfather of nine grandchildren.
Awards and accolades
He served as head of the Division of Arts and Letters, and chair of the English department at St. Mary's College of Maryland, where he co-founded and directed the bi-annual Literary Festival and the annual Voices reading series. He is a recipient of the Homer Dodge Endowed Award for Excellence in Teaching, the Columbia Merit Award from the Poetry Committee of the Greater Washington, D.C. area for his service to poetry, and the Andrew White Medal for contributions to the intellectual and artistic life in Maryland. He has edited four collections of poetry and published seven volumes of his own poems, most recently, the award-winning chapbooks Fire Before the Hands and Disrupting Consensus. Glaser, a widely sought speaker and workshop leader, has served as a Maryland State Arts Council poet-in-the-schools for over 20 years. He sits on the Board of Directors for the Maryland Humanities Council.
- 'Fiddler on the Roof, 1971
- A Lover’s Eye (The Bunny & Crocodile Press, 1989)
- In the Men’s Room and Other Poems, which was the winner of the 1996 Painted Bride Quarterly chapbook competition.
- "Being a Father," July, 2004
- Fire Before the Hands won the 2007 Anabiosis Press chapbook contest.
- Remembering Eden, Finishing Line Press 2008
- Disrupting Consensus was winner of the 2009-2010 Teacher's Voice chapbook competition.
- The Cooke Book (1989)
- Weavings2000: The Maryland Millennial Anthology
- Come Celebrate With Me: A Voices Memorial Tribute to Lucille Clifton (2011)
- "The Collected Poems of Lucille Clifton" (BOA Editions, 2012), with Kevin Young
- Dickson Mercer (April 3, 2009). "Poet Laureate: At 66, Michael S. Glaser has never been so prolific". Southern Maryland News.
- Michael S. Glaser Poet Laureate Archived 2008-05-09 at the Wayback Machine.
||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (June 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Poet Laureate of Maryland