Michael Gray (author)
Gray grew up on Merseyside, attended Birkenhead School, and read History and English Literature at the University of York. He subsequently lived and worked in North Devon, Birmingham, West Malvern, London and North Yorkshire. He is married to the food writer Sarah Beattie. In 2008, they moved to South-West France.
In 1972, Gray published the first critical study of Dylan's work, Song & Dance Man: The Art of Bob Dylan; this work was greatly expanded into Song & Dance Man III: The Art Of Bob Dylan (1999, 2000). In 2006, Gray published the Bob Dylan Encyclopedia, which received favourable reviews from the music press and newspapers.
In 2007, Gray published Hand Me My Travelin' Shoes - In Search of Blind Willie McTell, both a travelogue and a detailed biography of the influential blues singer Blind Willie McTell. This work was shortlisted for the James Tait Black Memorial Prize for Biography in 2008.
Gray was the Mary Amelia Cummins Harvey Visiting Fellow Commoner at Girton College, Cambridge, in 2005. He established a Bob Dylan blog in 2006. His official website was created in 2011. In 2015 he received the higher doctorate of D.Litt. (Doctor of Letters in English) from the University of York.
- Mother!: The Frank Zappa Story (1985, 1992, 1994, 2007, also published in Italy 1986 and Germany 1994)
- The Elvis Atlas: A Journey Through Elvis Presley's America (1996, 2011) - co-author
- All Across The Telegraph: A Bob Dylan Handbook (1987, 1988) - co-editor
- Song & Dance Man: The Art Of Bob Dylan (1972, 1973)
- The Art Of Bob Dylan: Song & Dance Man (1981, 1982)
- Song & Dance Man III: The Art of Bob Dylan (1999, 2000)
- The Bob Dylan Encyclopedia (2006, revised & expanded 2008)
- Hand Me My Travelin' Shoes: In Search Of Blind Willie McTell (2007, 2008, 2009)
- Marquesee, Mike (19 August 2006). "Pop 1960-62: not all hopeless". Guardian Unlimited. Retrieved 2 August 2007. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Williams, Wyatt (1 October 2009). "Retracing Blind Willie's blues". Atlanta Creative Loafing. Archived from the original on 26 February 2010. Retrieved 1 November 2011. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Allen, Katie (26 August 2008). "Belben and Hill win James Tait Black prizes". thebookseller.com. Retrieved 1 November 2011. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Girton College Annual Review, 2007–2008" (PDF). girton.cam.ac.uk. 30 September 2008. Archived from the original (PDF) on 17 May 2012. Retrieved 1 November 2011. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Michael Gray official website
- Gray's Bob Dylan blog
- Gray's Blind Willie McTell blog
- Gray's articles on Rock's Back Pages
- John May interviews Michael Gray