Michael Green (writer)
|Genres||Film, television, comic books|
Michael Green is an American writer and producer. In addition to writing for television, Green has written or co-written several feature film screenplays, including Logan, Alien: Covenant, Blade Runner 2049 and Murder on the Orient Express, all in 2017. For Logan, which he co-wrote with James Mangold and Scott Frank, Green was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Adapted Screenplay.
Life and career
Green grew up in Mamaroneck, New York, the son of a real estate developer. His family is Jewish, and his mother is Israeli. He attended Stanford University. After graduating, Green came back to New York and hustled his way into a junior development job at HBO, where he spent his workday reading other writers' scripts.
Green's first television writing credit was on Sex and the City. He was the creator and writer of the 2009 NBC series Kings, a drama based on the biblical story of King David but set in an alternate present. Other television credits also include Everwood, Smallville, Jack and Bobby and Heroes.
In 2007, Green, along with the rest of the Heroes writing staff, was nominated for an Emmy for Outstanding Drama Series and the WGA Award for New Series. Heroes won for Favorite New TV Drama at the 33rd annual People's Choice Awards.
Green's feature writing career began with Green Lantern in 2011. He wrote or co-wrote four films released in 2017: James Mangold's Logan, Ridley Scott's Alien: Covenant, Denis Villeneuve's Blade Runner 2049, and Kenneth Branagh's Murder on the Orient Express.
In November 2017, Death on the Nile, an adaptation of the novel of the same name, was reported to be in active development with Green returning as screenwriter. By February 2018, Branagh and Green were both confirmed to return as director and writer respectively. More recently, he signed an overall deal with Netflix.
A contributor to DC Comics, Green is the author and co-author of several graphic novels, including Batman: Lovers and Madmen. He co-wrote Superman/Batman and the reboot of Supergirl, with Mike Johnson as well as the Blade Runner comic series Blade Runner 2019.
|1998||Sex and the City||Yes||No||1 episode|
Also executive story editor
|2004–05||Jack & Bobby||Yes||consulting||21 episodes|
Also supervising producer, and co-executive producer
|2012||The River||Yes||executive||12 episodes|
|2015||87th Academy Awards||Yes||No||TV special|
|2017–19||American Gods||Yes||executive||14 episodes|
|2019||Raising Dion||No||executive||9 episodes|
|TBA||Blue Eye Samurai||Yes||Yes||Also creator|
|2011||Green Lantern: Emerald Knights||Christopher Berkeley
|Green Lantern||Martin Campbell|
|Alien: Covenant||Ridley Scott||Story only|
|2036: Nexus Dawn||Luke Scott||Short film|
|Blade Runner 2049||Denis Villeneuve|
|Murder on the Orient Express||Kenneth Branagh|
|2020||The Call of the Wild||Chris Sanders|
|2021||Jungle Cruise||Jaume Collet-Serra|
|2022||Death on the Nile||Kenneth Branagh|
- Batman: Lovers and Madmen (2008)
- Superman/Batman: The Search for Kryptonite (2008)
- Superman/Batman: Finest Worlds (2009)
- Supergirl, Volume 1: Last Daughter of Krypton (2012)
- Supergirl, Volume 2: Girl in the World (2013)
- Blade Runner 2019 (2019)
- Blade Runner 2029 (2020)
Awards and nominations
- Emmy Award: Outstanding Drama Series – Heroes (2007 nomination shared with Tim Kring, (executive producer), Dennis Hammer (executive producer), Allan Arkush (executive producer), Greg Beeman (co-executive producer), Jesse Alexander (co-executive producer), Jeph Loeb (co-executive producer), Bryan Fuller (co-executive producer), Natalie Chaidez (co-executive producer), James Chory (produced by), Adam Armus (supervising producer), and Nora Kay Foster
- Writers Guild of America Award: New Series – Heroes (2007)
- Academy Awards: Best Adapted Screenplay nomination shared with James Mangold and Scott Frank for Logan (2018).
- Hollywood Reporter: "Meet the Most Famous Hollywood Writer You've Never Heard Of" by Andy Lewis July 20, 2017
- "Meet the Most Famous Hollywood Writer You've Never Heard Of". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved September 30, 2017.
- Sullivan, Michael (August 31, 2009). "Fox Set To Reboot Fantastic Four". Collider.com. Retrieved March 16, 2018.
- "'Prometheus 2' Lands 'Green Lantern' Writer; May Feature Multiple Michael Fassbenders (Exclusive)". TheWrap. March 24, 2014. Retrieved September 30, 2017.
- "Hugh Jackman's 'Wolverine' Lands 'Blade Runner 2' Writer Michael Green (Exclusive)". TheWrap. April 24, 2015. Retrieved September 30, 2017.
- "Murder on the Orient Express Remake Gets Writer". Slashfilm. March 11, 2015. Retrieved September 30, 2017.
- Kit, Borys (November 20, 2017). "Murder On The Orient Express Sequel In The Works". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved December 7, 2017.
- McNary, Dave (February 13, 2018). "Fox Moves Back James Cameron's Alita: Battle Angel". Variety. Retrieved February 13, 2018.
- Otterson, Joe (October 9, 2020). "Netflix Sets Overall Deal With Michael Green, Orders Animated Series 'Blue Eye Samurai'". Variety. Retrieved October 10, 2020.