Michael Gerard Hinchey (born 1969) is an Irish computer scientist and Director at the Irish Software Engineering Research Centre (Lero), a multi-university research centre headquarteed at the University of Limerick, Ireland.
Mike Hinchey studied at the University of Limerick as an undergraduate (was the leading student in his graduating year), Oxford University (at Wolfson College) for his MSc and Cambridge University (at St John's College) for his PhD.
Hinchey has been a promulgator of formal methods throughout his career, especially CSP and the Z notation. He was Director of the NASA Software Engineering Laboratory at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center and is the founding editor-in-chief of the NASA journal Innovations in Systems and Software Engineering, launched in 2005.
He has held many academic positions, both visiting and permanent, at a number of universities including the University of Nebraska, Queen's University Belfast, New Jersey Institute of Technology, Hiroshima University the University of Skövde in Sweden and was at Loyola College in Maryland (now Loyola University Maryland), USA, before his current post.
Hinchey is a Member of Academia Europaea, a Fellow of the IET, a Fellow of the IMA, and a Senior Member of the IEEE. He is a Chartered Engineer, Chartered Professional Engineer, Chartered Mathematician and Chartered IT Professional.
As of 2015, Hinchey has been serving as Vice President of IFIP (International Federation for Information Processing) and Chair of its Technical Assembly.
- Hinchey, M.G. and Bowen, J.P., editors, Applications of Formal Methods. Prentice Hall International Series in Computer Science, 1995. ISBN 0-13-366949-1.
- Dean, C.N. and Hinchey, M.G., editors, Teaching and Learning Formal Methods, Academic Press, London, 1996. ISBN 0-12-349040-5.
- Bowen, J.P. and Hinchey, M.G., editors, High-Integrity System Specification and Design. Springer-Verlag, London, FACIT series, 1999. ISBN 3-540-76226-4.
- Hinchey, M.G. and Bowen, J.P., editors, Industrial-Strength Formal Methods in Practice. Springer-Verlag, London, FACIT series, 1999. ISBN 1-85233-640-4.
- "Hinchey, Michael G. (Michael Gerard) 1969–". WorldCat. Retrieved 12 December 2012.
- Lero appoint NASA expert Prof Mike Hinchey as co-director, Wayback Machine.
- Directors, Lero, Ireland.
- Hinchey, Michael G., countrybookshop.
- 'NJIT-CIS: Graduate Project Information', New Jersey Institute of Technology, USA.
- "IFIP Board". IFIP. Retrieved 2 April 2015.