Michael Horse, July 2006
December 21, 1951 |
Tucson, Arizona, United States
|Occupation||Film and television actor, jeweler, painter|
Michael Horse was born in a Yaqui Native American reserve near Tucson, Arizona, and is of Yaqui, Mescalero Apache, Zuni, Swedish, and Latino descent. His birth name was Michael Heinrich. He lived twenty years in Sun Valley, California on Sancola street.
His film debut came in the role of Tonto in the ill-fated 1981 film, The Legend of the Lone Ranger. Horse portrayed Deputy Hawk, a Native American policeman, in the TV series Twin Peaks (1990–91) and also acted in Passenger 57 (1992), House of Cards (1993), the 1990s version of the television series The Untouchables (1993), and North of 60 (1995–97). He also appeared in the Thanks episode "Thanksgiving" in 1999, portraying Squanto. He appeared as Deputy Owen Blackwood in four episodes of the first season of Roswell (1999). Horse also appeared as Sheriff Tskany in The X-Files episode "Shapes" in 1994. Michael Horse portrayed American Indian Movement (AIM) activist Dennis Banks in the 1994 TNT movie Lakota Woman: Siege at Wounded Knee. Eight years later, he lent his voice to Little Creek's friend in Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron. He portrayed Mike Proudfoot on Sons of Tucson.
- U.S. Public Records Index Vol 2 (Provo, UT: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc.), 2010.
- "Michael Horse Finds His Stride Juggling Talents". The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2010-10-25.
- About Michael Horse. . Retrieved 20 April 2009.
- Michael Horse Biography (1951-)
- "Art away from Hollywood is where his heart is". The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2010-10-30.
- Michael Horse - Actor Movie Reviews at TopTenReviews.com
- "Untouchable Then and Now". The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2010-10-25.
- North of 60 actors - NativeCelebs profiles
- Michael Horse at GatheringTribes.com
- 45-minute audio interview of Michael Horse Wide-ranging discussion on Pacifica Radio station KPFA's weekly program, Bay Native Circle (May 7, 2008)
- Michael Horse at the Internet Movie Database