Michael Horton (theologian)
|This article may rely excessively on sources too closely associated with the subject, potentially preventing the article from being verifiable and neutral. (November 2011)|
|Michael S Horton|
|Born||1964 (age 50–51)|
|Notable work||For Calvinism, The Christian Faith: A Systematic Theology for Pilgrims on the Way|
|Tradition or movement||Calvinism|
|Main interests||Systematic Theology, Apologetics, Historical Theology|
|Notable ideas||Predestination, Sola Fide|
Michael Scott Horton (born 1964) is the J. Gresham Machen Professor of Theology and Apologetics at Westminster Seminary California since 1998, Editor-in-Chief of Modern Reformation (MR) magazine, and President and host of the nationally syndicated radio broadcast, The White Horse Inn. Both Modern Reformation magazine and The White Horse Inn radio broadcast are now entities under the umbrella of White Horse Media, whose offices are located on the campus of Westminster Seminary California.
Horton was raised in an Arminian Southern Baptist church. While at high school, Horton adopted Calvinistic beliefs and began attending the Philadelphia Conference on Reformed Theology, where he met James Montgomery Boice, R.C. Sproul, and J.I. Packer.
Horton received a B.A. degree at Biola University. Since high school, he had always known that he wanted to go to Westminster Theological Seminary in Philadelphia. At the time, Westminster Seminary California was just starting in a small storefront in Escondido but many of the men Horton was reading at the time taught there, and this eventually led to his choice to get his M.A. there. He learned Biblical Hebrew and Koine Greek, and studied under Meredith Kline. He was impressed by the important concepts put forward by Kline, Robert Strimple, Robert Godfrey, and Dennis Johnson.
He was ordained a deacon in the Reformed Episcopal Church. He was formerly the president of Christians United for Reformation (CURE), which later merged to become the Alliance of Confessing Evangelicals (ACE). From 2001 to 2004 Horton served as the president of ACE, but is now no longer affiliated with that organization. He is also an ordained minister in the United Reformed Churches in North America (URCNA), has served at two churches in Southern California, and was the Associate Pastor at Christ United Reformed Church in Santee, California, a URCNA member church. Horton taught an Adult Sunday School class on God, suffering, sanctification, Reformed Theology, and the basics of the Heidelberg Catechism. This class is available on audio at the church website. He is now a member of the Escondido United Reformed Church.
Reason quite properly rejects contradiction, but rationalism abhors mystery, which every heresy attempts in its own way to resolve.— Michael Horton, Pilgrim Theology, 177
List of works
Horton has written and edited more than fifteen books, including:
- The Agony of Deceit: What Some TV Preachers Are Really Teaching (1990)
- Putting Amazing Back Into Grace (1991)
- Beyond Culture Wars: Is America A Mission Field or Battlefield? (1994)
- Where In The World Is The Church: Understanding Culture & Your Role In It (1995)
- Power Religion: The Selling Out of The Evangelical Church, edited with Charles Colson (1997)
- Made In America: The Shaping of Modern American Evangelicalism (1998)
- We Believe: Recovering the Essentials of the Apostle's Creed (1998)
- Covenant and Eschatology (2002)
- A Better Way: Rediscovering the Drama of God-Centered Worship (2003)
- The Law of Perfect Freedom (2004)
- Lord and Servant: A Covenant Christology (2005)
- Covenant & Salvation: Union with Christ (2007)
- Christless Christianity: The Alternative Gospel of the American Church (2008)
- People and Place: A Covenant Ecclesiology (2008; 2009 Christianity Today Book Award in Theology/Ethics) 
- Too Good to be True: Finding Hope in a World of Hype (2009)
- God of Promise: Introducing Covenant Theology (2009)
- The Gospel-Driven Life: Being Good News People in a Bad News World (2009)
- The Christian Faith: A Systematic Theology for Pilgrims on the Way (2011)
- Pilgrim Theology: Core Doctrine for Christian Disciples (2011)
- For Calvinism, with Maurice England (2011)
- The Gospel Commission (2012)
- Calvin on the Christian Life: Glorifying and Enjoying God Forever (Theologians on the Christian Life) (2014)
- "Michael S. Horton". Westminster Seminary California. Retrieved November 12, 2012.
- Horton, Michael (October 5, 2009). Meet Michael Horton. Interview with R. Scott Clark. Office Hours. Escondido, CA. Retrieved November 12, 2012.
- "Monergism Books".
- "White Horse Inn:Meet Our Hosts".
- "Christ United Reformed Church".
- "Up & Comers, Part 2 | Christianity Today | A Magazine of Evangelical Conviction". Christianity Today. 1996-11-11. Retrieved 2012-02-20.
- "Religion: Heresy on The Airwaves". Richard N. Ostling. Michael P. Harris. Time Magazine. Monday, Mar. 05, 1990.
- "2009 Christianity Today Book Awards | Christianity Today | A Magazine of Evangelical Conviction". Christianity Today. 2009-01-26. Retrieved 2012-02-20.
- Westminster Seminary California - Faculty Page
- The White Horse Inn, Dr. Horton's radio program
- Modern Reformation Magazine
- Adult Bible Class, Dr. Horton's teachings on Catechism
- theopedia's entry on Michael S. Horton
- Joel Osteen Answers his Critics (60 Minutes story. Horton's appearance: from timestamp 7:20 until 8:35)
- Christian talk show promotion of his Agony of Deceit book