|The Right Reverend
|Bishop of Lichfield|
|Church||Church of England|
|Diocese||Diocese of Lichfield|
|Other posts||Archdeacon of Southwark (2004–2012)
area Bishop of Woolwich (Southwark; 2012–2016)
|Ordination||1982 (deacon); 1983 (priest)
by Douglas Feaver
|Consecration||21 March 2012
by Rowan Williams
|Birth name||Michael Geoffrey Ipgrave|
19 April 1958 |
Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
|Education||Magdalen College School, Brackley|
|Alma mater||Oriel College, Oxford
Ripon College Cuddesdon
Michael Geoffrey Ipgrave, OBE (born 18 April 1958) is a British Anglican bishop. Since 2016, he has been the Bishop of Lichfield, the diocesan bishop of the Diocese of Lichfield. He was the Bishop of Woolwich, an area bishop in the Diocese of Southwark, from 2012 to 2016. He served as Archdeacon of Southwark between 2004 and 2012.
Early life and education
Ipgrave was born on 19 April 1958 in Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom. He was educated at Magdalen College School, Brackley, a state school in South Northamptonshire. From 1975 to 1978, he studied mathematics at Oriel College, Oxford, and graduated from the University of Oxford with a first class Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree. From 1979 to 1982, he trained for ordination at Ripon College Cuddesdon, an Anglican theological college near Oxford. During that period he also studied theology at the University of Oxford, and graduated with an additional first class BA.
Ipgrave was ordained in the Church of England: made a deacon at Petertide 1982 (27 June) and ordained a priest in the Petertide following (26 June 1983) — both times by Douglas Feaver, Bishop of Peterborough, at Peterborough Cathedral. After a curacy in Oakham followed by time in Japan, he was a team vicar in two separate Leicester parishes.
In Leicester, in 1991, he was appointed diocesan chaplain for relations with people of other faiths, and bishops' domestic chaplain in 1992. He was appointed Archdeacon of Southwark in 2004. In 2010 he also became Canon Missioner of Southwark Cathedral. He was co-chair of Southwark and London Housing Association (now Amicus Horizon)
He was formerly Inter Faith Relations Advisor to the Archbishops' Council and secretary of the Churches' Commission on Inter-Faith Relations.
On 3 February 2012, Ipgrave was announced as the next Bishop of Woolwich, an area bishop in the Diocese of Southwark. On 21 March 2012, he was consecrated a bishop, by Rowan Williams, Archbishop of Canterbury, during a service in Southwark Cathedral. He also served as Warden of Readers for the diocese. In May 2013, he read bidding prayers at a Mass for Lee Rigby who was murdered by Islamists in the 2013 Woolwich attack.
On 2 March 2016, it was announced that Ipgrave is to become the next diocesan Bishop of Lichfield. His canonical election to that See was confirmed on 10 June 2016; his installation at Lichfield Cathedral took place on 24 September 2016.
He has edited six volumes on Christian and Muslim relations. He is author of Trinity and Inter Faith Dialogue (Peter Lang, 2003) and has contributed to journal articles and book chapters on inter-faith matters.
- "Episcopal Team completed in Southwark Diocese". Archived from the original on 15 April 2012. Retrieved 21 March 2012.
- "Two new Area Bishops for Southwark Diocese". Diocese of Southwark. Church of England. Archived from the original on 5 February 2012. Retrieved 2 March 2016.
- Ipgrave, Michael Geoffrey. ukwhoswho.com. Who's Who. 2017 (November 2016 online ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 6 July 2017.
- "Bishop of Lichfield: Michael Geoffrey Ipgrave". GOV.UK. Prime Minister's Office, 10 Downing Street. 2 March 2016. Retrieved 2 March 2016.
- "Petertide ordinations (Archived; subscription only)". Church Times (#6229). 2 July 1982. p. 4. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 6 July 2017. (Subscription required (. ))
- "Petertide ordinations (Archived; subscription only)". Church Times (#6281). 1 July 1983. p. 4. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 6 July 2017. (Subscription required (. ))
- "Michael Geoffrey Ipgrave". Crockford's Clerical Directory (online ed.). Church House Publishing. Retrieved 6 July 2017. (subscription required)
- "Woolwich Mass for Drummer Rigby". The Tablet. The Tablet Publishing Company. May 24, 2013. Archived from the original on 13 August 2013. Retrieved May 24, 2013.
- OurCofE twitter (Accessed 11 June 2016)
- "Welcoming Bishop Michael". Diocese of Lichfield. 9 May 2016. Retrieved 22 May 2016.
- "No. 59647". The London Gazette (Supplement). 31 December 2010. p. 11.
|Church of England titles|
|Archdeacon of Southwark
|Bishop of Woolwich
|Bishop of Lichfield