Michael J. Flynn
|Alma mater||Manhattan College|
|Known for||Flynn's taxonomy|
|Awards||Harry H. Goode Memorial Award|
IEEE Computer Society Charles Babbage Award
Early life and education
Flynn was born in New York City.
In the early 1970s, he was the founding chairman of IEEE Computer Society's Technical Committee on Computer Architecture (TCCA) and Association for Computing Machinery's Special Interest Group on Computer Architecture, ACM SIGARCH (initially SICARCH). Flynn encouraged from the beginning, joint cooperation between the two groups which now sponsors many leading joint symposiums and conferences like ACM/IEEE International Symposium on Computer Architecture (ISCA).
In 1995 he received a Harry H. Goode Memorial Award.
In 2009, Flynn received an honorary doctorate from the University of Belgrade.
Flynn co-founded Palyn Associates with Maxwell Paley and in 2014 is Chairman of Maxeler Technologies.
- Flynn, Michael J. (1995). Computer architecture: pipelined and parallel processor design. Boston, MA: Jones and Bartlett. ISBN 0-86720-204-1.
- Flynn, Michael J. (2001). Advanced Computer Arithmetic Design. New York, NY: Wiley. ISBN 0-471-41209-0.
- IEEE Biography
- Oliver Choy; Ray Cheung; Peter Athanas; Kentaro Sano (March 2, 2012). Reconfigurable Computing: Architectures, Tools and Applications: 8th International Symposium, ARC 2012, Hongkong, China, March 19-23, 2012, Proceedings. Springer Science & Business Media. pp. 6–. ISBN 978-3-642-28364-2.
- Edwin D. Reilly (2003). Milestones in Computer Science and Information Technology. Greenwood Publishing Group. pp. 103–. ISBN 978-1-57356-521-9.
- "Michael J. Flynn • IEEE Computer Society". www.computer.org. Retrieved June 4, 2017.
- "SICARCH Formed" (PDF). Computer Architecture News. 1: 1. January 1972.
- "Chairman's Report" (PDF). Computer Architecture News. 1: 2. January 1972.
- "Computer Science Conference Rank". lipn.univ-paris13.fr. Archived from the original on June 4, 2017. Retrieved June 4, 2017.