Michael J. Larsen
In high school, Larsen tied with four other competitors for the top score in the 1977 International Mathematical Olympiad in Belgrade, winning a gold medal. As an undergraduate mathematics student at Harvard University, Larsen became a Putnam Fellow in 1981 and 1983. He graduated from Harvard in 1984, and earned his Ph.D. from Princeton University in 1988, under the supervision of Gerd Faltings. After working at the Institute for Advanced Study he joined the faculty of the University of Pennsylvania in 1990, and then moved to the University of Missouri in 1997. He joined the Indiana University faculty in 2001.
Larsen is known for his research in arithmetic algebraic geometry, combinatorial group theory, combinatorics, and number theory. He has written highly cited papers on domino tiling of Aztec diamonds, topological quantum computing, and on the representation theory of braid groups.
Awards and honors
- Elkies, Noam; Kuperberg, Greg; Larsen, Michael; Propp, James (1992), "Alternating-sign matrices and domino tilings. I", Journal of Algebraic Combinatorics, 1 (2): 111–132, arXiv: , doi:10.1023/A:1022420103267, MR 1226347.
- Freedman, Michael H.; Larsen, Michael; Wang, Zhenghan (2002a), "A modular functor which is universal for quantum computation", Communications in Mathematical Physics, 227 (3): 605–622, doi:10.1007/s002200200645, MR 1910833.
- Freedman, Michael H.; Larsen, Michael J.; Wang, Zhenghan (2002b), "The two-eigenvalue problem and density of Jones representation of braid groups", Communications in Mathematical Physics, 228 (1): 177–199, doi:10.1007/s002200200636, MR 1911253.
- Freedman, Michael H.; Kitaev, Alexei; Larsen, Michael J.; Wang, Zhenghan (2003), "Topological quantum computation", Bulletin of the American Mathematical Society, 40 (1): 31–38, arXiv: , doi:10.1090/S0273-0979-02-00964-3, MR 1943131.
- Dawson, Kate (March 6, 2011), "IU gives 5 faculty rank of distinguished professor", Indiana Daily Student.
- Michael J. Larsen, IU News Room, March 30, 2011.
- Shenker, Israel (July 14, 1977), "High School Math Wizards Do It by Numbers and U.S. Is No.1", New York Times.
- International Mathematical Olympiad 1977 (Belgrade, Yugoslavia) Individual Scores, Joseph Myers, polyomino.org.uk, retrieved 2012-08-16.
- The Mathematical Association of America's William Lowell Putnam Competition, Mathematical Association of America, retrieved 2012-08-16.
- Member biography, Indiana U. Alliance of Distinguished and Titled Professors, retrieved 2012-08-16.
- Michael Jeffrey Larsen at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Elkies et al. (1992).
- Freedman, Larsen & Wang (2002a); Freedman et al. (2003).
- Klarreich, Erica (February 22, 2003), "Knotty calculations: a quantum version of braids could lay the groundwork for tomorrow's computers", Science News.
- Freedman, Larsen & Wang (2002a).
- 2014 Class of the Fellows of the AMS, American Mathematical Society, retrieved 2013-11-04.
- Home page at Indiana University