Michael J. McShane
Michael Jerome McShane
|Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Oregon|
|Assumed office |
May 30, 2013
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||Michael Robert Hogan|
Michael Jerome McShane
1961 (age 57–58)
|Education||Gonzaga University (B.A.)|
Lewis & Clark Law School (J.D.)
Michael Jerome McShane (born 1961) is a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Oregon.
Early life, education and career
Born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, McShane spent his childhood in a conservative Catholic family in Kennewick, Washington, where he attended high school. He received his Bachelor of Arts degree, magna cum laude, in 1983 from Gonzaga University. Upon graduating, he joined the Jesuit Volunteer Corps, spending two years in Portland as a corrections counselor. He left the Jesuit Volunteer Corps to go to law school, enrolling at Northwestern School of Law of Lewis & Clark College, from which he received his Juris Doctor, cum laude, in 1988. He had worked for the Clark County District Attorney's office during law school but, on graduating, McShane joined the Office of the Metropolitan Public Defender in Portland, where he worked from 1988 to 1997.
He served as a full-time Judge Pro Tempore on the Multnomah County Circuit Court from 1997 to 2001 and as a Judge on the same court from 2001 to 2013. He handled civil, criminal and family court cases. He received the Oregon State Bar President's Public Service Award in 2012.
Nomination to U.S. District Court
On September 19, 2012, President Obama nominated McShane to serve as a United States District Judge for the United States District Court for the District of Oregon, to the seat vacated by Judge Michael R. Hogan who took senior status on September 24, 2011. On January 2, 2013, his nomination was returned to the President, due to the sine die adjournment of the Senate. On January 3, 2013, he was renominated to the same office. His nomination was reported by the Senate Judiciary Committee on March 7, 2013, by voice vote. The Senate confirmed his nomination on May 20, 2013, by voice vote. He received his commission on May 30, 2013.
On May 19, 2014, Judge McShane struck down Oregon's same-sex marriage ban in Geiger v. Kitzhaber. He ordered that the state immediately issue licenses to same-sex couples. The State of Oregon did not appeal (Oregon Attorney General Ellen Rosenblum declined to defend the state's ban on same-sex marriage); same-sex marriage in Oregon was legalized as a result.
McShane sits on the boards of The Wayne Morse Center for Law and Politics at the University of Oregon and the Jesuit Volunteer Corps Northwest. He previously sat on the board of St. Andrew Nativity School, an inner city middle school in Portland for disadvantaged youth. He taught criminal practice and trial advocacy at Lewis & Clark Law School and is a frequent lecturer at law schools and bar associations in Oregon.
- "Gay marriage: Openly gay judge, Michael McShane, in spotlight overseeing Oregon case". The Oregonian. April 17, 2014.
- "Michael McShane". Multnomah Bar Association. Retrieved 2013-12-05.
- "McShane, Michael Jerome – Federal Judicial Center". www.fjc.gov.
- "Nomination announcement from". whitehouse.gov. 2012-09-19. Retrieved 2013-12-05.
- "Renomination announcement". Whitehouse.gov. 2013-01-03. Retrieved 2013-12-05.
- Jeff Mapes, Judge Michael McShane writes unusually personal decision in Oregon gay marriage case, The Oregonian/OregonLive.com (May 19, 2014).
- Oregon's gay marriage ruling further insulated from reversal following Supreme Court action, The Oregonian/OregonLive.com (October 6, 2014).
- Oregon Judicial Department (2012-09-19). "Obama nominates Multnomah County Circuit Judge Michael McShane to federal bench". OregonLive.com. Retrieved 2013-12-05.
- "President Obama Nominates Openly Gay Judge for Federal Court in Oregon | Human Rights Campaign". Hrc.org. 2012-09-21. Archived from the original on 2014-04-22. Retrieved 2013-12-05.
- Denniston, Lyle (May 19, 2014). "Oregon's same-sex marriage ban nullified". SCOTUSBlog. Retrieved May 19, 2014.
- Michael J. McShane at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
- Michael McShane at Ballotpedia
Michael Robert Hogan
| Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Oregon