Michael Jeyakumar Devaraj
|Yang Berhormat Dr.
Michael Jeyakumar Devaraj
|Member of the Malaysian Parliament
for Sungai Siput, Perak
8 March 2008
|Preceded by||Samy Vellu|
March 28, 1955 |
Johor, Federation of Malaya (now Malaysia)
|Political party||Socialist Party of Malaysia|
Dr. Michael Jeyakumar Devaraj (born 28 March 1955) is a Malaysian politician who has served in the Parliament of Malaysia as Member of Parliament for the Sungai Siput constituency in Perak since 2008.
Jeyakumar is a member of the Socialist Party of Malaysia (PSM) but was elected to Parliament on the ticket of the People's Justice Party in the Pakatan Rakyat opposition coalition. His win in the 2008 general election unseated the long-serving President of the Malaysian Indian Congress, Samy Vellu. Vellu who had defeated Jeyakumar in Sungai Siput in the 1999 and 2004 general elections. Jeyakumar successfully retained his seat in the 2013 general election.
Detention under Emergency Ordinance
In the run-up to Bersih 2.0 rally for electoral reform in Malaysia, Jeyakumar and other PSM members were arrested in June 2011, accused of trying to wage war against the king and revive Communism. In July 2011, he was arrested under the Emergency Ordinance (EO), which allows for indefinite detention without trial. He remained in solitary confinement until July 2011, spending a total of 28 days in detention. Jeyakumar credits his release to the support of the people.
Jeyakumar also practices as a medical doctor.
|1999||Michael Jeyakumar Devaraj (DAP)||12,221||39%||Samy Vellu (MIC)||17,480||56%||Mohd Asri (MDP)||565||2%|
|2004||Michael Jeyakumar Devaraj (PKR)||8,680||28%||Samy Vellu (MIC)||19,029||60%||Shanmugam Ponmugam Ponnan (DAP)||2,890||9%|
|2008||Michael Jeyakumar Devaraj (PKR)||16,458||50%||Samy Vellu (MIC)||14,637||44%||Nor Rizan Bin Oon (IND)||867||3%|
|2013||Michael Jeyakumar Devaraj (PKR)||21,593||52%||Devamany S. Krishnasamy (MIC)||18,800||45%||Nagalingam A/L Singaravelloo (IND)||197||1%|
- "Micheal Jeyakumar Devaraj, Y.B. Dr." (in Malay). Parliament of Malaysia. Retrieved 27 June 2010.
- Looi, Elizabeth (2 December 2008). "Sungai Siput is a PKR seat". The Nut Graph. Retrieved 27 June 2010.
- "Not so happy birthday for Samy". The Star. Star Publications. 9 March 2008. Retrieved 27 June 2010.
- "2013 Malaysia General Election NEGERI PERAK P62 Sungai Siput". Election Commission of Malaysia. Retrieved 5 May 2013. Results only available for the 2013 election.
- "Jeyakumar: Detention was horrible". Free Malaysia Today. 11 April 2011. Archived from the original on 10 November 2011. Retrieved 15 April 2015.
- "Taste for reggae". The Star. Star Publications. 11 April 2008. Retrieved 27 June 2010.
- "Keputusan Pilihan Raya Umum Parlimen/Dewan Undangan Negeri". Election Commission of Malaysia. Retrieved 27 June 2010. Percentage figures based on total turnout.
|This article about a Malaysian politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|