Michael Johnson (Australian rules footballer)
Johnson in March 2016.
|Full name||Michael Johnson|
|Date of birth||20 October 1984|
|Original team(s)||Perth (WAFL)|
|Draft||No. 8, 2004 pre-season draft|
|Height||195 cm (6 ft 5 in)|
|Weight||92 kg (203 lb)|
|Representative team honours|
|2005||Indigenous All-Stars||1 (0)|
1 Playing statistics correct to the end of 2017.
2 State and international statistics correct as of 2005.
|Sources: AFL Tables, AustralianFootball.com|
He made his debut against Richmond in Round 4 of 2005 when Matthew Carr was a late withdrawal from the team due to illness.
Due to promising performances at both WAFL and AFL levels and his versatility, he announced a three-year extension to his contract in 2006 and then a two-year contract extensions to remain at Fremantle until the end of the 2011 season.
His 2007 season started badly when he was suspended for four matches after colliding with Lachlan Hansen in a NAB Cup match and being one of the first players to be charged under the AFL's crackdown on front-on contact to the head.
In 2009, he was appointed captain of the club for a pre-season derby and despite missing the second half of the 2009 season due to an ankle injury, he was officially included in the leadership group for the 2010 season. He also won the club's best clubman award for 2009.
In May 2010 Johnson was investigated by the police in relation to a drug-related matter. He was charged on summons with possessing cocaine, suspended for five matches and fined $5,000 for bringing the AFL into disrepute. He pleaded guilty and was fined $500 in court.
In 2017, Johnson has been integral in Fremantle's early season turnaround assisting Aaron Sandilands in the ruck while the team has taken a youth first approach in their team selection criteria. 
- Statistics are correct to the end of 2016 season
|Totals||Averages (per game)|
- Walsh, Courtney (25 November 2006). "Clontarf boys' time to shine". The Australian. Archived from the original on 21 October 2011.
- Promising youngster signs on with Freo
- Johnson Michael Johnson commits to Fremantle
- Tarrant package deal for Dockers
- Le Grand, Chip (10 March 2007). "Lions into final, Cats see lawyer". The Australian. Archived from the original on 21 October 2011.
- Johnson to skipper Freo in derby
- Fremantle 2010 preview
- Duffield, Johnson and Mundy boost leadership group
- Docker probed over drug-related matter
- Star Docker faces drug probe
- Fremantle issue Johnson statement
- Docker Johnson hit with drugs charge
- Michael Johnson's player profile at AFL Tables
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Michael Johnson (Australian rules footballer).|