Michael K. Young
|Michael K. Young|
|25th President of
Texas A&M University
May 1, 2015
|Preceded by||R. Bowen Loftin|
|31st President of the
University of Washington
July 2011 – April 2015
|Preceded by||Mark Emmert|
|14th President of the
University of Utah
August 2004 – May 2011
|Preceded by||Bernie Machen|
|Succeeded by||David W. Pershing|
November 4, 1949 |
|Alma mater||Brigham Young University (B.A.)
Harvard University (J.D.)
|Religion||The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints|
Michael Kent Young (born November 4, 1949) has been the 25th and current president of Texas A&M University since May 1, 2015. He previously served as president of the University of Washington from 2011 to 2015, as president of the University of Utah from 2004 to 2011 and as dean of George Washington University Law School from 1998 to 2004.
Young received a Bachelor of Arts degree from Brigham Young University (BYU) in 1973 and a Juris Doctorate from Harvard Law School in 1976, after which he clerked for Supreme Court Associate Justice William Rehnquist.
His previous academic postings include Fuyo Professor of Japanese Law and Legal Institutions and Director of the Center for Japanese Legal Studies at Columbia University and Dean and Lobingier Professor of Comparative Law and Jurisprudence at the George Washington University School of Law. He held several posts in the administration of President George H.W. Bush and served as chairman of the United States Commission on International Religious Freedom during 2003 and 2004.
He served as president of the New York Stake of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from 1985 to 1989. He married fellow BYU alumna Suzan Stewart and they are the parents of three children. They divorced in 2010.
On June 3, 2011, he married Marti Denkers (Young). 
On February 3, 2015, it was announced that Young would become president of Texas A&M University. On May 1, 2015 he took over as president of the fourth-largest university in the United States and the largest university in Texas.
Michael K. Young - President and Professor of Law, University of Washington
- Marquis Who's Who on the Web
- 'UW Regents pick Utah president as new UW leader', in The Seattle Times, April 25, 2011 
- 'U. of Utah Chief Is Pick to Be Next President of U. of Washington', in The Chronicle of Higher Education, April 25, 2011 
- "Michael K. Young". University of Utah. Retrieved 2009-12-26.
- "Michael K. Young". University of Utah. Retrieved 2011-05-31.
- article on Young's appointment as President of the University of Utah
- "Past Commissioners". United States Commission on International Religious Freedom. Retrieved 2009-12-26.
- Tiffany, Scott, ed., City Saints: Mormons in the New York Metropolis. (New York: Nauvoo Books, 2004) p. 62
- 'Incoming UW President Michael Young gets married', in The Seattle Times, June 7, 2011 
- "Regents: Two-time university president expected to serve at helm of Texas A&M". theeagle.com. February 3, 2015. Retrieved February 3, 2015.
- "Texas Higher Education Enrollments".
- "Fall 2012 Executive Summary". Retrieved November 29, 2012.
- Jon, Marmor (June 2011). "The Challenge of a Lifetime" (pdf). Columns Magazine: The University of Washington Alumni Magazine (Seattle, WA: The University of Washington Alumni Association) 30 (6): 24–27. Retrieved 17 April 2015.
Mark A. Hussey (interim)
|President of Texas A&M University