|Born||Michael Anthony Klaper|
|Education||University of Illinois College of Medicine, 1972|
Early life and education
Klaper graduated from the University of Illinois College of Medicine in 1972 and served his medical internship at Vancouver General Hospital with the University of British Columbia. He also studied obstetrics at the University of California in San Francisco.
After medical school graduation, Klaper moved between a number of locations, practiced acute care medicine, and eventually became certified in urgent care medicine. In his current public speaking, a number of his anecdotes and gripping stories come from those crisis experiences. Klaper became a vegan in the early 1980s.
He served as director of a vegan health spa in Pompano Beach, Florida from the early 1990s and was featured on the PBS documentary Diet For A New America by John Robbins, currently available for free on YouTube and Vimeo. In 1995, Dr. Klaper received the Peace Abbey Courage of Conscience Award for the clarity and passion of his witness as a vegan physician and surgeon.
He maintained a medical practice in Maui, Hawaii between 1995 and 2006, and in Whangarei, New Zealand between 2006 and 2009. In 2009, he relocated to Northern California, where he is a medical consultant at the TrueNorth Health Center in Santa Rosa.
His books include Vegan Nutrition: Pure and Simple, and Pregnancy, Children, and the Vegan Diet.
- Caldwell Esselstyn
- Evidence-based medicine
- Joel Fuhrman
- John A. McDougall
- Michael Greger
- Neal D. Barnard
- Vegan nutrition
- Klaper, Michael (2000) . Vegan Nutrition: Pure and Simple (4th ed.). Kapaau, Hawaii: Gentle World. ISBN 9780929274232.
- Klaper, Michael (1991) . Pregnancy, Children, and the Vegan Diet (1st ed.). Kapaau, Hawaii: Gentle World. ISBN 978-0961424824.
- A Diet for All Reasons, VHS videotape, now free online
- "Dr. Michael Klaper, MD – Santa Rosa, CA | Family Medicine". Doximity.com. Retrieved 2016-01-07.
- "Michael Klaper, M.D. | Nutritional Education Institute". Nutritionaleducation.com. Retrieved 2016-01-07.
- "Dr. Michael Klaper: A Vegan Physician on Voices from the North". In Search of Simplicity. 2009-04-29. Retrieved 2016-01-07.
- "Dr. Michael Klaper - Michael Klaper, M.D., Nutrition-Based Medicine". Doctorklaper.com. Retrieved 2016-01-07.
- Sharon Bernstein (September 16, 1991). "KCET's 'Diet' Isn't Savory for Beef, Dairy Industries". Los Angeles Times.
- "Famed Vegan MD Michael Klaper Moves Practice to California". Vegsource.com. Retrieved 2016-01-07.
-  Archived November 23, 2010 at the Wayback Machine
- "Your Stay at the Center". Healthpromoting.com. Retrieved 2016-01-07.
- "A Diet For All Reasons / Foods that kill". YouTube. 2012-09-24. Retrieved 2016-01-07.
- "A Diet For All Reasons | Watch Free Documentary Online". Documentarywire.com. Retrieved 2016-01-07.
- Official website
- TrueNorth Health Center website
- Mark Huberman (April 29, 2014). "Interview with Michael Klaper, M.D.". National Health Association. Retrieved November 14, 2014.
|This biographical article related to medicine in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|