||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (September 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Born||Michael Anthony Klaper|
|Education||University of Illinois College of Medicine, 1972|
Early life and education
Klaper graduated from the University of Illinois College of Medicine in 1972 and served his medical internship at Vancouver General Hospital with the University of British Columbia. He also studied obstetrics at the University of California in San Francisco.
After medical school graduation, Klaper moved between a number of locations, practiced acute care medicine, and eventually became certified in urgent care medicine. In his current public speaking, a number of his anecdotes and gripping stories come from those crisis experiences. Klaper became a vegan in the early 1980s.
He served as director of a vegan health spa in Pompano Beach, Florida from the early 1990s and was featured on the PBS documentary Diet For A New America by John Robbins, currently available for free on YouTube and Vimeo. Dr. Michael Klaper was a NASA nutrition adviser and medical consultant on vegan diets for astronauts, since there are no factory farms in outer space and, during long stays in outer space, feeding the astronauts would need to come from what could be grown in outer space. He also served on the Nutrition Task Force of the American Medical Student Association and served as the scientific director of the environmental organization EarthSave. In 1995 Klaper received the Peace Abbey Courage of Conscience Award.
He maintained a medical practice in Maui, Hawaii between 1995 and 2006, and in Whangarei, New Zealand between 2006 and 2009. In 2009, Klapper relocated to Northern California, where he is a medical consultant at the TrueNorth Health Center in Santa Rosa.
His books include Vegan Nutrition: Pure and Simple, and Pregnancy, Children, and the Vegan Diet.
Klaper is also on the advisory board of Naked Food Magazine, for which he is also a regular contributor of articles espousing a plant-based diet.
- Caldwell Esselstyn
- Evidence-based medicine
- Joel Fuhrman
- John A. McDougall
- Michael Greger
- Neal D. Barnard
- Vegan nutrition
- Klaper, Michael (2000) . Vegan Nutrition: Pure and Simple (4th ed.). Kapaau, Hawaii: Gentle World. ISBN 9780929274232.
- Klaper, Michael (1991) . Pregnancy, Children, and the Vegan Diet (1st ed.). Kapaau, Hawaii: Gentle World. ISBN 978-0961424824.
- A Diet for All Reasons, VHS videotape, now free online
- Numerous educational videos, some free online.
- "Dr. Michael Klaper, MD – Santa Rosa, CA | Family Medicine". Doximity.com. Retrieved 2016-01-07.
- "Michael Klaper, M.D. | Nutritional Education Institute". Nutritionaleducation.com. Retrieved 2016-01-07.
- "Dr. Michael Klaper: A Vegan Physician on Voices from the North". In Search of Simplicity. 2009-04-29. Retrieved 2016-01-07.
- "Dr. Michael Klaper - Michael Klaper, M.D., Nutrition-Based Medicine". Doctorklaper.com. Retrieved 2016-01-07.
- Sharon Bernstein (September 16, 1991). "KCET's 'Diet' Isn't Savory for Beef, Dairy Industries". Los Angeles Times.
- Michael Klaper, MD: Nutrition-Based Medicine
- "Famed Vegan MD Michael Klaper Moves Practice to California". Vegsource.com. Retrieved 2016-01-07.
-  Archived November 23, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Your Stay at the Center". Healthpromoting.com. Retrieved 2016-01-07.
- "A Diet For All Reasons / Foods that kill". YouTube. 2012-09-24. Retrieved 2016-01-07.
- "A Diet For All Reasons | Watch Free Documentary Online". Documentarywire.com. Retrieved 2016-01-07.
- Michael Klaper, MD: DVD’s and Videos On Demand
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Michael Klaper|
- Official website
- TrueNorth Health Center website
- Mark Huberman (April 29, 2014). "Interview with Michael Klaper, M.D.". National Health Association. Retrieved November 14, 2014.
|This biographical article related to medicine in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|