Kranish in 2012
|Employer||The Washington Post|
|Trump Revealed; The World's Fastest Man: The Extraordinary Life of Cyclist Major Taylor; Flight from Monticello:Thomas Jefferson at War"|
|Title||Political investigative Reporter|
A graduate of the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs at Syracuse University, Michael Kranish joined the Boston Globe in 1984. He worked in the newspaper's Washington Bureau and was the White House reporter during the last two years of the presidency of George H.W. Bush and the first two years of Bill Clinton. He was the paper's national political reporter during the 1996 and 2000 campaigns. His other assignments with the Globe have included congressional reporter, New England reporter, and business writer. He previously worked for the Miami Herald and the Lakeland Ledger.
He is the co-author (with Brian C. Mooney, and Nina J. Easton) of a biography of Senator John Kerry, John F. Kerry: The Complete Biography by the Boston Globe Reporters Who Know Him Best, and the author of a history of Thomas Jefferson, Flight from Monticello: Thomas Jefferson at War. He is co-author with Globe writer Scott Helman of The Real Romney.
Kranish joined the Washington Post in January 2016. With co-author Marc Fisher and supervised by The Washington Post editor Marty Baron, Kranish authored the biography, Trump Revealed: An American Journey of Ambition, Ego, Money, and Power.
Kranish authored a book about the African-American cyclist Major Taylor in 2019, titled The World's Fastest Man: The Extraordinary Life of Cyclist Major Taylor, America's First Black Sports Hero. Taylor won the world championship in 1899, and raced across the United States, Europe and Australia, overcoming racist efforts to ban him at the height of the Jim Crow era.
Kranish is the 2016 winner of the Society of Professional Journalists award for Washington Correspondence.
- "Michael Kranish". The Boston Globe. Retrieved 27 November 2010.[permanent dead link]
- "Michael Kranish joins as investigative political reporter", The Washington Post (November 24, 2015.
- "Michael Kranish".
- John F. Kerry: The Complete Biography by the Boston Globe Reporters Who Know Him Best, PublicAffairs, 2004. ISBN 1-58648-273-4
- Flight from Monticello: Thomas Jefferson at War, Oxford University Press, 2010, ISBN 9780195374629
- Poe, Marshall Poe (1 July 2010). "Michael Kranish, "Flight from Monticello: Thomas Jefferson at War"". New Books In History. Retrieved 27 November 2010.[permanent dead link]
- Scott Helman Archived 2012-08-25 at the Wayback Machine, The Boston Globe webpage. Retrieved 2012-02-01.
- The Real Romney, 2012: Harper ISBN 9780062123275
- The Real Romney, Amazon.com webpage. Retrieved 2012-02-01.
- Rayner, Richard, "Book review: 'The Real Romney' adds fuller picture of candidate", Los Angeles Times, January 17, 2012. Retrieved 2012-02-01.
- Dowd, Maureen, "Mitt, Is This Wit?", The New York Times, January 24, 2012. Retrieved 2012-02-01.
- Calderone, Michael (April 11, 2016), "The Washington Post Plans To Write The Book On Donald Trump – But the paper isn't expecting to hold back scoops in the process.", The Huffington Post, retrieved June 22, 2017
- Kranish, Michael. "Michael Kranish website".
- "Society of Professional Journalists".
- Appearances on C-SPAN
- Flight from Monticello: Thomas Jefferson at War at OUP
- Interview with Kranish on "New Books in Biography"