Michael L. Brown
This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: the article needs to be expanded. (August 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Michael L. Brown
Michael L. Brown
|Residence||Charlotte, North Carolina|
|Alma mater||New York University|
|Occupation||Author, speaker, radio host, professor|
|Spouse(s)||Nancy Gurian Conway Brown (married 1977)|
Michael L. Brown (born March 16, 1955) is a conservative radio host, author, professor and a noted proponent of Messianic Judaism and serves as a leader of the Charismatic Movement. His nationally syndicated radio show, The Line of Fire, airs throughout the United States. He also regularly contributes to Townhall.com and serves as head of the Coalition of Conscience, a Christian organization in the Charlotte, North Carolina area. He also holds a Ph.D in Near Eastern Languages and Literature from New York University.
Michael L. Brown has held various positions within academia. In the past, he has served in visiting or adjunct positions at several seminaries. He served as adjunct professor of the Old Testament at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School in Deerfield, Illinois and adjunct professor of Jewish apologetics at Fuller Theological Seminary School of World Mission. He is also currently the president of practical theology, at the Fellowship for International Revival and Evangelism School of Ministry, where he currently serves as a professor.
His own organizations
Between 1996 and 2000 he was leader in the Brownsville Revival, a Christian Pentecostal revival Movement that began on June 18, 1995, at the Brownsville Assembly of God church in Pensacola, Florida. In 2000, though, the board removed him from the movement. In 2001 he started the FIRE School of Ministry, A Christian leadership training institute that is heavily influenced by the revival movement that Brown was kicked out of. In 2005 Brown founded another revivalist organization called ICN Ministries. The intent of the organization is to spread the revivalist message to places like Israel, other Christian organizations, and other places where Brown has influence.
- Hyper-Grace: Exposing the Dangers of the Modern Grace Message (2014) ISBN 978-1621365891
- The Real Kosher Jesus: Revealing the Mysteries of the Hidden Messiah (2012) ISBN 978-1621360070
- 60 Questions Christians Ask About Jewish Beliefs and Practices (2011) ISBN 978-0800795047
- A Queer Thing Happened to America: And What a Long, Strange Trip It's Been (2011) ISBN 978-0615406091
- Answering Jewish Objections to Jesus: General and Historical Objections, Vol. 1 (2000) ISBN 978-0801060632 Baker Books
- Answering Jewish Objections to Jesus: Theological Objections Vol. 2 (2000) ISBN 978-0801063343 Baker Books
- Answering Jewish Objections to Jesus: Messianic Prophecy Objections, Vol. 3 (2003) ISBN 978-0801064234 Baker Books
- Answering Jewish Objections to Jesus: New Testament Objections: Vol. 4 (2006) ISBN 978-0801064265
- Answering Jewish Objections to Jesus:Traditional Jewish Objections Vol 5 (2010) ISBN 978-1881022862
- It's Time to Rock the Boat (1993) ISBN 978-1560431060
- How Saved Are We? (1990) ISBN 978-1560430551
- Go And Sin No More: A Call To Holiness (1999) ISBN 978-0615730196
- Israel's Divine Healer (1995) ISBN 978-0310200291
- A Time For Holy Fire: Preparing the Way for Divine Visitation (2008) ISBN 978-0981530413
- What Do Jewish People Think about Jesus?: And Other Questions Christians Ask about Jewish Beliefs, Practices, and History (2007) ISBN 978-0800794262
- The Revival Answer Book (2001) ISBN 978-0830726417
- The End of the American Gospel Enterprise (1993) ISBN 978-1560430025
- Revolution!: The Call to Holy War (2000) ISBN 978-0830726400
- Let No One Deceive You (1997) ISBN 978-1560436935
- Our Hands Are Stained with Blood (1992) ISBN 978-1560430681
- Can You Be Gay and Christian?: Responding With Love and Truth to Questions About Homosexuality (2014) ISBN 978-1621365938
- Authentic Fire: A Response to John MacArthur's Strange Fire (2015)
- Jeremiah--Ezekiel (The Expositor's Bible Commentary) (2010) with Tremper Longman III, David E. Garland, Paul Ferris Jr. ISBN 978-0-310-23499-9
- Tree of Life Version (2014) with Jeffrey Seif et al. ISBN 978-0-9907081-1-7
- Breaking the Stronghold of Food: How We Conquered Food Addictions and Discovered a New Way of Living (2017) With his wife Nancy Brown
- Oxford Dictionary of Jewish Religion
- Theological Dictionary of the Old Testament.
During his career, he has held public debates on multiple subjects with other religious figures. For example, he has debated about the compatibility of a belief in Jesus and Judaism with people like Yisroel Chaim Blumenthal, Shmuley Boteach, John Piper, Moshe Otero, Immanuel Schochet and David Blumofe. He has also debated Bruce Bennett and James White on the role of free will in salvation. He has also debated with Sam Waldron, Phil Johnson, and James White on if the New Testament spiritual gifts have ceased or not. He has also debated multiple people on the issue of homosexuality and Christianity. Most of his debates, including the ones cited here, are freely available on YouTube.
In the past Brown has dealt with minor criticism in Charlotte by the local LGBTQ community for holding a rally in protest of their 2009 Charlotte Pride Festival. Due to his stance against homosexuality, he is also considered be a member of a hate group according to the liberal legal group Southern Poverty Law Center. In September 2012, the organization named him in their list of "30 New Activists Heading Up the Radical Right." Although he disagrees with homosexuality and despite the SPLC labeling him as a radical right activist, he has said that gays should be treated with respect and dignity.
- "Major Split at Brownsville - News Report". Sermon Index. Retrieved July 19, 2015.
- "Author Profile". Awakening the One New Man.
- Comer, Matt (August 20, 2011). "Indeed, God has a better way". QNotes. Retrieved December 28, 2013.
- "Southern Poverty Law Center > Intelligence File: Michael Brown". Retrieved December 29, 2013.
- "30 New Activists Heading Up the Radical Right" (146). Southern Poverty Law Center Intelligence Report. Summer 2012. Retrieved December 29, 2013.
- "Renouncing 'Christian' Homo-hatred". Ask Dr. Brown. June 28, 2016. Retrieved November 11, 2017. "Let's Help Lauren Daigle Rather Than Condemn Her". Ask Dr. Brown. December 4, 2018. Retrieved December 8, 2018.
I have been marked by major leftwing groups (including the SPLC, the HRC, and GLAAD) as one of the most dangerous, vicious, homophobic, transphobic voices in America, and the secular media has been warned to stay away from me. (For me, these accusations and attacks, while sad in themselves, are truly a badge of honor. See Matthew 5:10-12.)
- Works by or about Michael L. Brown in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- Michael Brown's Website
- Michael Brown's Townhall Column
- Fire School of Ministry