Michael L. Scott
Education and teaching
Scott received a PhD from the University of Wisconsin–Madison in 1985. He joined the faculty at Rochester the same year as an assistant professor of computer science. Scott was chair of the computer science department from 1996 until 1999, when he was succeeded by Mitsunori Ogihara. He served again as interim chair from July to December 2007.
In 2001, Scott received the University of Rochester’s Robert and Pamela Goergen Award for Distinguished Achievement and Artistry in Undergraduate Teaching.
Scott published the text Programming Language Pragmatics in 2000. A second edition was published in 2005, a third in 2009, and a fourth in 2015. Translations have been made to Greek and simplified Chinese.
In 2006, Scott and John Mellor-Crummey were awarded the Edsger W. Dijkstra Prize in Distributed Computing for a paper they wrote in 1991, "Algorithms for Scalable Synchronization on Shared-Memory Multiprocessors."
In 2005, Scott, along with William Scherer III and Doug Lea developed a set of algorithms to handle lock-free concurrent exchanges and synchronous queues. These algorithms are included in the Java 6 concurrency library.
Scott is a Unitarian Universalist. He served as secretary of the New York State Convention of Universalists from 1991 to 1999 and as President from 2001 to 2005. In June 2004, he spoke at the Unitarian Universalist Association General Assembly in favor of electronic voting machines, so long as they retained a paper backup.
- Scott, Michael L. (2000). Programming Language Pragmatics. San Francisco, CA: Morgan Kaufmann Publishers. ISBN 1-55860-442-1.
- Scott, Michael L. (2006) . Programming Language Pragmatics (2nd ed.). Morgan Kaufmann Publishers. ISBN 978-0-12-633951-2.
- Scott, Michael L. (2009) . Programming Language Pragmatics (3rd ed.). Morgan Kaufmann Publishers. ISBN 978-0-12-374514-9.
- Scott, Michael L. (2015) . Programming Language Pragmatics (4th ed.). Morgan Kaufmann Publishers. ISBN 978-0-12-410409-9.
- Scott, Michael L. (2013). Shared Memory Synchronization. Morgan & Claypool Publishers. ISBN 978-1-60845-956-8.
- Michael Scott's personal webpage
- Programming Language Pragmatics
- Algorithms for scalable synchronization on shared-memory multiprocessors