||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (July 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
June 1, 1958 |
Los Angeles, United States
|Genres||Rock, hard rock|
|Instruments||Vocals, guitar, slide guitar, bass guitar, sitar, mandolin, piano, synthesizer, chitarrone, guitarra conchera|
Michael Landau (born June 1, 1958) is an American musician, engineer, and record producer. He is a prolific session musician and guitarist who has played on a large number of albums since the early 1980s with artists as varied as Minoru Niihara, Joni Mitchell, Seal, Michael Jackson, James Taylor, Helen Watson, Richard Marx, Steve Perry, Pink Floyd, Roger Daltrey, Glenn Frey, and Miles Davis. Landau, along with fellow session guitarists Dean Parks, Steve Lukather and Dann Huff, played on many of the major label releases recorded in Los Angeles from the 1980s–1990s. He has released music with several record labels including Ulftone Music and Tone Center Records, a member of the California-based Shrapnel Label Group.
In addition to his session work, Landau has also fronted several bands including Raging Honkies and Burning Water. In the early 1980s, he was also in the band Maxus that featured future Los Angeles session musicians Robbie Buchanan, Jay Gruska, and Doane Perry.
Michael Landau was born and raised in Los Angeles, his grandfather arranged and played woodwinds during the swing era with the Dorsey Brothers and Benny Goodman. In his early teens Landau became very interested in jazz and electric jazz. At age 11, Landau started playing the guitar, and by the age of 16 he began playing the L.A club scene with an R&B band and shortly after this he began touring the west coast with Robben Ford, which included the band members Jimmy Haslip and Russell Ferrante.
Landau has a signature Single coil guitar pickup with Suhr Guitars called the 'ML.' In 2013, Fender announced that they would be collaborating with Landau on a signature stratocaster. In 2015, Fender released the 'Michael Landau Signature' amplifier, a modified version of Hot Rod DeVille III 
Throughout the 1980's and 1990's, Landau used a rack switching system made by Bob Bradshaw of Custom Audio Electronics. Other notable users of such systems were Steve Lukather and Eddie Van Halen among other. 
- Tales from the Bulge (1990)
- The Star Spangled Banner (2001)
- Michael Landau Live 2000 (2001)
- The Michael Landau Group-Live (2006)
- Organic Instrumentals (2012)
With Renegade Creation
- Renegade Creation (2010)
- Bullet (2012)
With Hazey Jane
- Holy Ghost (2009)
With Stolen Fish
- Give Me A Ride (1999)
- Like I Said (2001)
With The Raging Honkies
- We Are The Best Band (1994)
- Boner (1996)
With Burning Water
- Burning Water (1991)
- Mood Elevator (1992)
- Live And Lit (1993)
- Abbandonato (1994)
- "Inside the Mind of Pink Floyd: David Gilmour". Guitar. September 1995. Retrieved 2010-07-29.
- "The Michael Landau Group". Mikelandau.com. Retrieved 2014-07-22.
- "ML Single Coil Pickups". www.suhr.com. Retrieved 2016-04-27.
- "Fender Custom Shop Announces Michael Landau Signature". www.iguitarmag.com. Retrieved 2016-04-27.
- "Fender Announces Michael Landau Signature Amplifier". www.premierguitar.com. Retrieved 2016-04-27.
- "An Interview With Bob Bradshaw". www.customaudioelectronics.com. Retrieved 2016-04-27.