Michael Lawrence Brown
|Michael Lawrence Brown|
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia|
Assumed office |
January 17, 2018
|Appointed by||Donald Trump|
|Preceded by||Julie E. Carnes|
1968 (age 49–50)|
Quantico, Virginia, U.S.
Georgetown University (BA)|
University of Georgia School of Law (JD)
Michael Lawrence Brown (born 1968) is a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia.
He received his Bachelor of Arts from Georgetown University, and his Juris Doctor, magna cum laude, from the University of Georgia School of Law, where he was inducted into the Order of the Coif and served on the editorial board and the managerial board of the Georgia Law Review. He started his legal career as a law clerk for Judge James Larry Edmondson of the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit in Atlanta. Brown spent four years as a litigation associate in the Atlanta office of King & Spalding LLP. Prior to his career in private practice, he served for six years as an Assistant United States Attorney in the Northern District of Georgia and in the Southern District of Florida, where he tried more than twenty-five cases and argued criminal appeals. Before becoming a judge, Brown served as an equity partner and co-chair of the White Collar and Government Investigations practice group in the Atlanta office of Alston & Bird LLP.
Federal judicial service
On July 13, 2017, President Trump nominated Brown to serve as a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia, to the seat vacated by Judge Julie E. Carnes, who was elevated to the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit. On September 20, 2017, a hearing on his nomination was held before the Senate Judiciary Committee. On October 19, 2017, his nomination was reported out of committee by voice vote. On January 11, 2018, his nomination was confirmed by the United States Senate by a vote of 92–0. He received his judicial commission on January 17, 2018.
- " President Donald J. Trump Announces Fifth Wave of Judicial Candidates" White House, July 13, 2017
- " Ten Nominations Sent to the Senate Today" White House, July 13, 2017
- United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary: Nominations for September 20, 2017
- Results of Executive Business Meeting – October 19, 2017, Senate Judiciary Committee
- "On the Nomination (Confirmation Michael Lawrence Brown, of Georgia, to be United States District Judge for the Northern District of Georgia)". United States Senate. January 11, 2018. Retrieved January 11, 2018.
- Michael Lawrence Brown at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
- Michael L. Brown at Ballotpedia
Julie E. Carnes
| Judge of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
|This American law-related biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|