Michael LeMoyne Kennedy
|Michael LeMoyne Kennedy|
Kennedy in 1987
February 27, 1958|
Washington, D.C., U.S.
|Died||December 31, 1997
Aspen, Colorado, U.S.
|Cause of death||Skiing accident|
|Resting place||Holyhood Cemetery, Brookline, Massachusetts|
|Alma mater||Harvard University (B.A.)
University of Virginia (J.D.)
|Spouse(s)||Victoria Denise Gifford
(m. 1981; his death 1997)
Michael LeMoyne Kennedy, Jr. Kyle Francis KennedyRory Gifford-Kennedy
|Parent(s)||Robert F. Kennedy
Kennedy was born in Washington, D.C. He was 5 years old when his uncle, President of the United States John F. Kennedy, was assassinated and 10 years old when his father, presidential candidate, Robert F. Kennedy, also was assassinated.
Education and career
They had one son, Michael LeMoyne Kennedy, Jr. (born January 9, 1983),and two daughters, Kyle Elizabeth Kennedy (born July 6, 1984), Rory McCauley Kennedy (born November 14, 1987), and resided in Cohasset, Massachusetts, until his death in December 1997. In 2014, his son Michael, Jr. and wife Mary gave birth to a son, Michael LeMoyne Kennedy III and later a daughter in 2016, Quinn Kennedy. Kyle and her husband Liam Kerr had three children, two sons Conor and Declan. A daughter, Josie, who was Conor's twin, died in infancy in 2014.
In 1997 the news broke that Michael, Sr., was having an affair with the family's former babysitter. Allegations were reported that the affair had begun three years before, when the babysitter was 14 years old. Kennedy took and passed three polygraph tests claiming he had not had sex with the Cohasset teen until she was 16 years old, the legal age of consent in Massachusetts at the time. Kennedy was placed under investigation for statutory rape. The babysitter, however, did not cooperate with prosecutors. Shortly after the scandal began, Kennedy and his wife separated. After the affair, he checked himself into a Maryland rehab center for alcoholics.
Kennedy died on December 31, 1997, in a skiing accident in Aspen Mountain, Colorado. He was playing football while on skis with several other members of the Kennedy family when at approximately 4:15 p.m. he hit a tree. Kennedy was not wearing a helmet or other safety equipment. Some have stated that the family had been previously warned by the ski patrol to cease the activity. Others have stated that the ski patrol issued no such warnings. Following the accident Kennedy was taken to Aspen Valley Hospital where he was pronounced dead at 5:50 p.m.
- Gibbs, Nancy; McCarthy, Terry; Faltermayer, Charlotte; Witkowski, Tom (January 12, 1998). "The Kennedy Family: Tragedy Strikes Again". Time. p. 2. Archived from the original on January 19, 2011. Retrieved August 30, 2009.
- "Editorial & News Images: News Photography, Pictures, Awards, Events, Sports, Celebrity Photos - Getty Images".
- Gibbs, Nancy; McCarthy, Terry; Faltermayer, Charlotte; Witkowski, Tom (January 12, 1998). "The Kennedy Family: Tragedy Strikes Again". Time. p. 3. Archived from the original on April 23, 2008. Retrieved August 30, 2009.
- Time - "Letters: Feb. 2, 1998", 1998-02-02, accessed 2009-10-27.
- "CNN - Coroner: Kennedy death accidental - January 1, 1998".
- "CNN - Michael Kennedy laid to rest - January 3, 1998".