Lohan at the wrap party for the pilot of
Wanna Be Me, 2008
|Born||April 25, 1960|
|Spouse(s)||Dina Lohan (1985-2007)|
|Children||Lindsay Lohan (born 1986)
Michael Lohan, Jr. (born 1987)
Ali Lohan (born 1993)
Cody Lohan (born 1996)
Ashley Horn (born 1995)
Landon Major Lohan (born 2013)
Lohan married Donata Melina Nicolette "Dina" Sullivan, a former singer and dancer, on November 2, 1985. Dina and Michael Lohan have four children: daughters Lindsay (born 1986) and Ali (born 1993) and sons Michael Jr. (born 1987) and Dakota (born 1996). They separated when their daughter Lindsay was three, and later reunited. Dina filed for divorce in January 2005. Their divorce was finalized in October 2007.
On June 30, 2008, Lohan submitted a DNA sample for a paternity test after a Montana massage therapist, Kristi Kaufmann, asserted that Michael was intimately involved with her in 1995 while he was separated from Dina, and fathered her daughter, Ashley Horn. A Montana court subsequently ruled that Lohan was Ashley's natural father, and his name was added to her birth certificate. The paternity results were revealed during his appearance on Trisha where Lohan reunited with Kaufmann while meeting Horn for the first time.
Lohan and former tabloid reporter Kate Major became engaged over Easter weekend in 2010. They later broke up, but their continued relationship, which was marked by conflict, was depicted in the fifth season of the VH1 reality TV series, Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew, which documented Lohan's rehabilitation for alcoholism, which he said began in 1982. Lohan says that although he had not done cocaine in six years at this point (a "culture" to which he says he succumbed while working on Wall Street), "Drinking always led to coke. Always." He also discussed how he was affected by the verbal abuse and alcoholism of his father, who had recently died of stomach cancer.
It was also revealed on Celebrity Rehab that Lohan had been diagnosed with left main cardiac disease. Although Lohan had previously had a blockage in his right coronary artery, the blockage at his left main coronary artery, which physician Drew Pinsky believed was caused by Lohan's past cocaine use, placed Lohan at high risk for a cardiac event, and required him to avoid stress and anger.
In 2011, Lohan lived in West Hollywood, California. As of February 2014, Lohan lives in Boca Raton, Florida with his girlfriend Kathryn "Kate" Major and their son Landon. Prior to moving to Boca Raton, he lived in Fort Lauderdale and at the Tahitian Inn in Tampa.
In 1990, Lohan was investigated for insider trading and convicted of criminal contempt of court. He was sentenced to three years in jail in Nassau County, and was released in 1993 on five years probation. During this time, his daughter Lindsay had started modeling for the Ford Models agency and was starring in commercials, and by the time of his release in 1993, she was at the pinnacle of her career.
In 1997, Lohan was arrested when he violated his probation after flying to Napa, California to visit his daughter Lindsay, who had been hospitalized for an asthma attack that occurred during filming of a movie. He subsequently served a year in prison.
After Lindsay became a movie star, tensions arose in the family, due to Lohan's belief that Lindsay's career should be managed by professionals, and not the members of Dina's family that have been characterized as "hangers-on". This conflict came to a head when Dina's youngest brother, Matt Sullivan, got into a fistfight outside Michael's Long Island home, during a May 23, 2004 first communion party for their son Dakota. Though he maintained that Sullivan was responsible for the fight, Lohan was charged with attempted assault and, while awaiting sentencing, was involved in a car accident that led to his being charged with driving under the influence of alcohol and aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle. While in prison, he took up singing and songwriting, as well as correspondence courses for Teen Challenge, a faith-based sobriety program. Michael and Dina Lohan separated again later that year. Lohan was later arrested on June 29 after allegedly leaving a Long Island hotel where he had rented several suites without paying his $3,800 bill, and faced assault charges in Manhattan for allegedly swearing at a sanitation worker and punching the worker in the face after the worker's truck blocked his car. On January 19, 2005, Dina's spokesperson confirmed that she had filed for divorce.
Lohan was released from prison in March 2007 after serving a two-and-a-half-year sentence in the Collins Correctional Facility. He subsequently took up residence in a Teen Challenge center in West Babylon, New York, and underwent training to become a minister, though to be ordained requires his parole to end.
He subsequently worked as an actor and counselor with the Long Island Teen Challenge rehabilitation program. He has also been involved in various television proposals, including the Michael Lohan Reality Project, a 2007 series produced by Frozen Pictures, which followed his life, work and efforts to reconnect with his daughter and family.
On October 25, 2011, Lohan was arrested in a suspected domestic violence incident in Tampa, Florida, involving his on-again, off-again girlfriend, Kate Major. Lohan was released from custody on $5,000 bail and ordered to have no further contact with Major. 12 hours later on October 27, 2011 he was again back in police custody, after contacting Major again by phone. Unbeknownst to Lohan, when he called Major a second time that evening, police were listening in on speaker phone. Police then went to Lohan's hotel to arrest him. When Lohan saw the police arrive, he attempted to escape by jumping out of his third-story room window. Upon jumping, Lohan fell into a tree and injured his foot. He was taken into custody and was being held to appear before a judge for violating the restraining order placed on him the day before. After being subsequently released from a Tampa hospital October 28, and taken to Falkenburg Road Jail, the wheelchair-bound Lohan was denied bail during an October 29 court appearance by Judge Denise Pomponio for violating a domestic violence injunction against him and his pretrial release order not to contact Major. Lohan and his attorney stated that he was merely returning a call by Major, but Major, who was present, stated that this was false.
- Caplan, David (April 6, 2010). "Lindsay Lohan's Father Engaged to Kate Major". People. "Michael Lohan, who turns 50 on April 25" WebCitation archive.
- Fazan, Sarina (November 11, 2011). "Lindsay Lohan's dad gets support in court from a reality housewife". ABC Action News.
- "Lindsay Lohan's dad pops off at his ex". Daily News. April 14, 2008.
- "Lohan Grandfather Dies". Contact Music. August 29, 2008.
- Dirmann, Tina; Finn, Natalie (August 29, 2008). "Lindsay Loses Grandfather, Calls for Family Peace". E! Online.
- Carry, Robert (June 9, 2010). "Lindsay Lohan is Irish? Really?". Joe.ie.
- Morgan, Spencer."The Parent Trap". The New York Observer, August 14, 2007. WebCitation archive.
- Fischler, Marcelle S. (October 22, 2006). "For Lohan Matriarch, Like Daughter, Like Mother". The New York Times.
- "Lindsay Lohan biography". The Biography Channel. Retrieved March 19, 2010.
- "Intake". Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew. Season 5. Episode 1. June 26, 2011. VH1.
- "Lohan parents’ divorce heats up on Long Island". Associated Press. August 6, 2007. Retrieved November 12, 2008.
- Herbst, Diane (December 12, 2005). "Lohan's Parents Reach Divorce Settlement". People.
- "Lindsay Lohan's Mother Files For Divorce". Contact Music. January 20, 2005.
- "Lindsay Lohan's Mother Files for Divorce". Fox News. January 19, 2005.
- Thomas, Katie (August 10, 2007). "Lohan case illustrates flawed state system". Newsday.
- "Lohan's parents end divorce row". BBC News (BBC). August 18, 2007. Retrieved August 19, 2007.
- Crowley, Kieran, and Jeane MacIntosh. "Lohan's Shock 'Sister Act' - Lindsay's Dad's DNA Drama". New York Post. July 1, 2008. WebCitation archive.
- "Meet Lindsay Lohan's half-sister... the budding teen pop star". Daily Mail.
- D'Zurilla, Christie (November 15, 2012). "Michael Lohan: DNA test confirms 17-year-old is his daughter". Los Angeles Times.
- "Wreckage from the Past". Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew. Season 5. Episode 5. July 24, 2011. VH1.
- "Family Weekend". Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew. Season 5. Episode 6. July 31, 2011. VH1.
- "The Trouble With Loved Ones". Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew. Season 5. Episode 7. August 7, 2011. VH1.
- Ward, Kate. "'Celebrity Rehab': Michael Lohan, Amy Fisher, Bai Ling join season 5". Entertainment Weekly. March 3, 2011
- Chambers, Lisa. "Guilty as Charged!". TV Guide. June 20, 2011, page 27
- "911 Call: Cops visit Michael Lohan's home in Boca Raton". WPBF.
- Funcheon, Deidra (February 19, 2013). "Michael Lohan Is Publishing Memoir, Has Moved to Boca". Broward Palm Beach New Times.
- Byrne, Laura (October 25, 2011). "Michael Lohan arrested on domestic violence charges in Tampa". WTSP.
- "Lindsay Lohan Biography". People. Retrieved January 31, 2010.
- "Lindsay Lohan: Biography". Rolling Stone. Retrieved December 19, 2012.
- "Lindsay Lohan's Mother Files for Divorce". Fox News/Associated Press. January 19, 2005
- "Lohan's dad makes peace offering". USA Today. July 30, 2007
- Dirmann, Tina. "Michael Lohan's Reality Check". E! Online. November 7, 2007
- "Lindsay Lohan's dad granted bail, released". CNN. October 27, 2011
- D'Zurilla, Christie. "Michael Lohan arrested on domestic abuse charges in Florida". Los Angeles Times. October 25, 2011
- "Michael Lohan Arrested Again, Tries to Flee Cops by Jumping Off Balcony". ABC News. October 27, 2011
- Boyle, Christina. "Michael Lohan arrested again just hours after release from jail on domestic violence charges". Daily News. October 27, 2011
- Clark, Michelle L. "Michael Lohan denied bond at first appearance". ABC News. October 29, 2011
- Rossetter, Shelley. "Lindsay Lohan's father denied bond". St. Petersburg Times. October 29, 2011