|Cincinnati Reds – No. 21|
|Born: January 4, 1992|
|April 29, 2015, for the Cincinnati Reds|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2018 season)
|Earned run average||4.21|
Michael Clifton Lorenzen (born January 4, 1992) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the Cincinnati Reds of Major League Baseball (MLB). As a college baseball player, Lorenzen played outfield and pitched for the Cal State Fullerton Titans. He was selected by the Reds in the first round of the 2013 Major League Baseball Draft.
Education and amateur career
Lorenzen attended Fullerton Union High School in Fullerton, California, where he played for the school's baseball team. He had a batting average above .400 as a freshman. The Tampa Bay Rays selected Lorenzen in the seventh round of the 2010 Major League Baseball Draft. Lorenzen opted not to sign, and instead enrolled at California State University, Fullerton, to play baseball for the Titans. In 2012, he was named an All-American and a finalist for the John Olerud Two-Way Player of the Year Award. Lorenzen has also played on the United States national collegiate baseball team.
Minor League career
Lorenzen was considered to be among the best prospects eligible for the 2013 Major League Baseball Draft, and was ranked as the #52 prospect by Baseball America. He was selected with the 38th pick by the Cincinnati Reds. He signed and made his professional debut with the Arizona League Reds. He also pitched for the Dayton Dragons, Bakersfield Blaze, and the Pensacola Blue Wahoos during the season. In 21 innings pitched between the four clubs, he was 1-1 with a 3.00 ERA.
The Reds invited Lorenzen to spring training as a non-roster invitee in 2014. He pitched for Pensacola in 2014, started 24 games, and pitched to a 4–6 win–loss record and a 3.13 ERA in 120 2⁄3 innings pitched. He tried out for the Reds in spring training in 2015 as a relief pitcher, but was reassigned to the minor leagues before the start of the season. He started the 2015 season with the Louisville Bats. The Reds promoted Lorenzen to the major leagues to start on April 29.
Major League career
Lorenzen made his major league debut on April 29, 2015, pitching five innings against the Milwaukee Brewers. He gave up eight hits, including three home runs, walked one and struck out five, and was credited with the 8-3 loss. He stayed with Cincinnati before being optioned to Louisville on August 14. He was recalled by the Reds on August 31. In 27 games (21 starts) for the Reds, he was 4-9 with a 5.40 ERA, and in six starts for Louisville, he was 4-2 with a 1.88 ERA.
During spring training in 2016, he was diagnosed with a sprained ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow, and he did not return until mid-June. He pitched out of the bullpen for Cincinnati upon his return, and he finished the year with a 2-1 record and a 2.88 ERA in 35 relief appearances. In 2017, he was 8-4 with a 4.45 ERA in 70 appearances in relief.
Lorenzen was called up to pinch-hit in the seventh inning of a June 30, 2018 game against the Milwaukee Brewers, and hit a grand slam off pitcher Jacob Barnes. It was Lorenzen's third home run of the 2018 season.
- "Lorenzen in a hurry … to succeed". The Orange County Register. Retrieved April 28, 2015.
- "Baseball: CSF's Lorenzen keeping the faith". The Orange County Register. Retrieved April 28, 2015.
- Liebeskind, Josh. "Gonzales Finalist For Two-Way POY – Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather". Khq.com. Retrieved August 17, 2013.
- Gonzalez, Ricardo (April 26, 2012). "CSUF baseball player joins USA Baseball Team". Dailytitan.com. Retrieved May 28, 2013.
- Mayo, Jonathan. "Outfielders in MLB's First-Year Player Draft have considerable potential | MLB.com: News". Mlb.mlb.com. Retrieved May 28, 2013.
- "Draft Preview Database". BaseballAmerica.com. Retrieved August 17, 2013.
- 06/06/13 at 11:02pm by C. Trent Rosecrans Comments (December 17, 2012). "Reds take RHP/OF Michael Lorenzen at 38 | Cincinnati Reds". Cincinnati.com. Archived from the original on August 22, 2013. Retrieved August 17, 2013.
- "Two top prospects among non-roster additions". Cincinnati Reds. Retrieved April 28, 2015.
- "Michael Lorenzen could make Reds as reliever". Cincinnati.com. March 10, 2015. Retrieved April 28, 2015.
- "Reds cut Sam LeCure, re-assign Michael Lorenzen". Cincinnati.com. April 2, 2015. Retrieved April 28, 2015.
- Wick Terrell. "Michael Lorenzen to debut for Reds Wednesday". Red Reporter. Retrieved April 28, 2015.
- Associated Press (April 29, 2015). "Braun hits solo homer, grand slam as Brewers beat Reds 8-3". ESPN. Retrieved April 29, 2015.
- "Michael Lorenzen Stats, Highlights, Bio - MiLB.com Stats - The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". MiLB.com. Retrieved June 24, 2018.
- Buchanan, Zach (March 15, 2016). "Reds pitcher Michael Lorenzen has mild UCL sprain". Cincinnati Enquirer. Retrieved March 19, 2016.
- "RHP Michael Lorenzen's pinch-hit grand slam leads Reds over Brewers 12-3". ESPN. July 1, 2018. Retrieved July 1, 2018.