|24th President of Marquette University|
|Preceded by||Robert A. Wild (interim)|
|8th Chancellor of the University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee|
|Preceded by||Carlos E. Santiago|
|Succeeded by||Mark Mone|
|Born||March 20, 1967|
|Alma mater||University of Pittsburgh|
|Profession||College administrator, Academic|
Michael R. Lovell (born c. 1967) is an American engineer, educator, and President of Marquette University. Lovell was named the first lay president in the history of Marquette on March 26, 2014, and started at Marquette on July 1, 2014.
Previous to Marquette, he had served as the 8th chancellor for the University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee, having been named to that position by the UW System Board of Regents in April 2011. Lovell came to the University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee as its engineering school dean in 2008 and served as its interim chancellor after the departure of its former chancellor Carlos E. Santiago in 2010. Before joining UW-Milwaukee, he had been the Professor & Associate Dean for Research of Swanson School of Engineering at University of Pittsburgh.
Lovell received his B.S., M.S. and Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering from University of Pittsburgh. Lovell has published more than 100 articles in leading engineering journals, has written a dozen book chapters and recently co-authored a book, Tribology for Scientists and Engineers. As a researcher, Lovell has been a lead or co-lead investigator for nearly $30 million in externally funded research grants from foundations, businesses and government agencies including the National Science Foundation, the Department of Energy, the Department of Defense and the Department of Education. His research has led to several technological breakthroughs, and he currently holds seven patents and 14 provisional patents. In 2013, Lovell was formally inducted into the National Academy of Inventors.
- NSF CAREER Award, Design Manufacturing and Industrial Innovation, 1997
- Outstanding International Publication on Bearings, FAG – Germany, 1997
- SME Outstanding Young Manufacturing Engineer Award, 1999
- ASME Burt L. Newkirk Award in Tribology, 2005
- Olympus Emerging Academic Innovator Award, 2006
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2008
- W. K. Whiteford Endowed Faculty Fellowship, 2000 – 2008
- State of Wisconsin Distinguished Professor, 2010–present
- Fellow of National Academy of Inventors, 2013
- Karen Herzog. "UWM's Michael Lovell tapped to lead Marquette University". jsonline.com.
- "MU's Lovell to launch search to fill leadership posts".
- Lovell named UWM chancellor, The Business Journal
- "University of Pittsburgh".
- "CEAS Professor Michael R. Lovell". University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. Archived from the original on November 17, 2009. Retrieved 2011-04-25.
- Menezes, Pradeep; Nosonovsky, Michael; Ingole, Sudeep; Kailas, Satish; Lovell, Michael (2013). Tribology for Scientists and Engineers. Springer. ISBN 978-1-4614-1945-7.
- "Dr. Michael R. Lovell elected first lay president of Marquette University". marquette.edu.
- "President Lovell to recognize innovative faculty and students who have earned patents, Oct. 5". Marquette Today. September 22, 2016. Retrieved October 19, 2017.
Carlos E. Santiago
|Chancellor of the University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee
Robert A. Wild, S.J. (interim)
|President of Marquette University