Michael Meyer von Bremen
Early life and education
Born August 19, 1957, Michael Meyer von Bremen attended public schools in Albany and graduated from Mercer University in Macon in 1979 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in political science. He earned his law degree from Mercer's Walter F. George School of Law in 1983.
Meyer von Bremen was elected to the Georgia State Senate in 1998 to represent the 12th Senatorial District, which included all of Baker, Calhoun, Clay, Dougherty, Randolph, Terrell, and Quitman counties and portions of Mitchell County. He served in that position until 2009, when he declined to seek re-election. Instead, in the 2008 election cycle, he ran, unsuccessfully, for a seat on the Georgia Court of Appeals. After his election defeat, Meyer von Bremen returned to the private practice of law.
As a senator, Meyer von Bremen served as Chairman of the Special Judiciary committee. He also served as a member of the Senate Appropriations, Ethics, Judiciary and Natural Resources Committees. Additionally he sat on the Joint Commission on Mental Health, Mental Retardation and Substance Abuse Committee, the Southern Legislative Conference’s Economic Development, Transportation and Cultural Affairs Committee and the Joint Comprehensive Water Plan Study Committee. From 2002 until he left the Georgia Senate, Meyer von Bremen served as the (Democratic) Senate Minority Leader. Meyer von Bremen was selected as a Governor's appointment to the Workforce Investment Board and a Supreme Court Appointment to the Indigent Defense Commission.
Meyer von Bremen is a partner in a private law firm. He is a member of the State Bar of Georgia and the American Bar Association. He is a member and past president of the Dougherty Circuit Bar Association and the Albany Sertoma Club. He is a past president of the College of Liberal Arts and Arts & Sciences Alumni Association for Mercer University.
Having earned the rank of Eagle Scout in 1970, Meyer von Bremen is active in community and civic affairs. He is married to the former Peggy Hicks, and they have two children, Meg and Welsley. They are members of the Porterfield Memorial United Methodist Church in Albany where he has served on the Administrative Board and the Board of Trustees. He is also a member of the Chancel Choir.
- Michael Meyer von Bremen, Senator - 12th District of Georgia Archived 2008-04-20 at the Wayback Machine.
- Georgia State Senator Michael Meyer von Bremen (D-12) Archived 2007-12-19 at the Wayback Machine.
- Michael Meyer von Bremen, Senator - 12th District of Georgia Archived 2008-05-14 at the Wayback Machine.
- The Albany Herald: Senator to seek judgeship[permanent dead link]
- AJC: 4 candidates rise above the others
- "Attorneys: Michael Meyer von Bremen". Hall Booth Smith. Archived from the original on 2011-01-07. Retrieved 2012-02-24.
- "HBSS Offices". Retrieved 2012-03-26.