|Attorney-General of Western Australia|
29 June 2012
|Preceded by||Christian Porter|
|Member of the Legislative Council
of Western Australia
22 May 2009
Serving with Behjat, Collier, Dermer, Katsambanis, Pritchard, Ravlich, Travers, Watson
|Constituency||North Metropolitan Region|
29 December 1958 |
Subiaco, Western Australia, Australia
|Alma mater||University of Western Australia|
Michael Mischin (born 29 December 1958) is an Australian politician who has been a member of the Legislative Council of Western Australia since 2009, representing North Metropolitan Region. He has been attorney-general in the government of Colin Barnett since 2012.
Mischin was born in Perth to Maria Katarina (née Lewkowski) and George Mischin. His parents had arrived in Australia as displaced persons after World War II, his father being of Russian origin and his mother's family originating from "a small village on the Polish–Belorussian border". Mischin attended Scarborough Senior High School before going on to study law at the University of Western Australia. He was called to the bar in 1982, and afterward worked in a private law firm until 1985, when he joined the state government's Crown Law Department. Mischin later worked for the Director of Public Prosecutions, reaching the rank of senior state prosecutor.
At the 2007 federal election, Mischin ran for the Senate in fourth position on the Liberal Party's ticket in Western Australia, but was not elected. The following year, at the 2008 state election, he was elected to a Legislative Council term starting in May 2009, running in second position on the Liberal ticket in North Metropolitan Region. Mischin was made deputy chairman of committees in the Legislative Council a few months after his election, and also became a parliamentary secretary. In June 2012, following the resignation of Christian Porter, he was appointed attorney-general. After the 2013 state election, Mischin was also made Minister for Commerce, replacing Simon O'Brien.
- Michael Mischin – Biographical Register of Members of the Parliament of Western Australia. Retrieved 12 July 2016.
- Extract from Hansard (COUNCIL - Tuesday, 23 June 2009), Parliament of Western Australia, p. 8. Retrieved 12 July 2016.
- Senate Results: Western Australia, Australia Votes 2007, ABC News. Retrieved 12 July 2016.
- Hon. Michael Mischin MLC LLB (Hons), BJuris (Hons) – Parliament of Western Australia. Retrieved 12 July 2016.
- "Mischin's vision for life as Attorney-General", ABC News, 19 July 2012. Retrieved 12 July 2016.
|Parliament of Western Australia|
|Minister for Commerce