|Born||September 7, 1983|
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
|Notable works||The Current War (2017)|
The Siegel (2017)
Fly by Night (2014)
The Giver (2014)
|Notable awards||Drama Desk Best Musical Nominee (2015)|
Visionary Playwright Award (2012)
Michael Mitnick (born September 7, 1983) is an American playwright.
Mitnick grew up in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and attended Fox Chapel Area High School, a public school in the Allegheny Valley. His father is a professor and the co-originator of The Theory of Agency. His mother is a public librarian. Mitnick graduated from Harvard University and later worked at The Atlantic Monthly before earning his Master of Fine Arts degree in playwriting from The Yale School of Drama. His high school job was working in the graphic design department of WQED Pittsburgh and Mister Rogers' Neighborhood.
|Elijah||Yale School of Drama||2010 with Lupita Nyong'o|
|Babs the Dodo||Washington Ensemble Theatre, Seattle||2011|
|Sex Lives of our Parents||Second Stage, New York||2011|
|Ed, Downloaded||Denver Center Theater Company||2013|
|Spacebar a Broadway Play by Kyle Sugarman||The Wild Project, New York||2014|
|The Siegel||South Coast Repertory, Costa Mesa||2017|
|The Current War||2017|
He co-wrote the album "Fly By Night" with Will Connolly and Kim Rosenstock.
Variety selected Mitnick as one of 10 Screenwriters to watch 2013. He received the 2012 Visionary Playwright Award from TheatreMasters. He is a two-time winner of the Edgerton New American Foundation Award for The Siegel (2017) and Fly By Night (2011), which was also nominated for four 2015 Drama Desk Awards including Best Musical.
Works in development
In May, Deadline placed Mitnick's original screenplay "Some Are Born Great" on their 2017 Cannes Hotlist. He is slated to direct the film this winter.
- "Barry M. Mitnick | University of Pittsburgh Katz Graduate School of Business". business.pitt.edu. Retrieved 2017-09-05.
- "News Record from North Hills, Pennsylvania on November 6, 1995 · Page 8". newspapers.com. Retrieved 2017-09-05.
- "| Harvard Magazine". harvardmagazine.com. Retrieved 2017-09-05.
- "Talking About Our Parents' Sex Lives with Playwright Michael Mitnick". PAPERMAG. Retrieved 2017-09-05.
- "Pittsburgh Post-Gazette from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania on March 6, 2013 · Page 17". newspapers.com. Retrieved 2017-09-05.
- "Yale Drama Grad Lupita Nyong'o Wins Oscar For '12 Years A Slave' - Hartford Courant". courant.com. Retrieved 2017-09-05.
- "Preview: Babs the Dodo at Washington Ensemble Theatre". Seattle Met. Retrieved 2017-09-05.
- "Sex Lives of Our Parents Gets Inside Mom's Pants". Village Voice. Retrieved 2017-09-05.
- "Theater review: World premiere of “Ed, Downloaded” full of laughs and moral quandaries". The Denver Post. Retrieved 2017-09-05.
- "‘Spacebar,’ a Play About a Play, by Michael Mitnick". The New York Times. Retrieved 2017-09-05.
- "Michael Mitnick's The Siegel Portrays Love as the Horror Show It Is". OC Weekly. Retrieved 2017-09-05.
- "Toronto International Film Festival". tiff.net. Retrieved 2017-09-05.
- David Edwards. "Movie Review: The Giver (12A) 97mins". Daily Record. Retrieved 2017-09-05.
- "Vinyl Recap: Progressions". vulture.com. Retrieved 2017-09-05.
- ACE. "ACE Repertory". ascap.com. Retrieved 2017-09-05.
- ""Fly By Night (Original Off-Broadway Cast Recording)" by Various Artists on iTunes". itunes.apple.com. Retrieved 2017-09-05.
- Variety Staff. "10 Screenwriters to Watch". Variety. Retrieved 2017-09-05.
- "Visionary Playwrights". theatermasters.org. Retrieved 2017-09-05.
- Jeremy Gerard. "‘Hamilton’ Wins 7 Drama Desk Awards, Prizes Multiply For Hot Musical". Deadline. Retrieved 2017-09-05.
- Mike Fleming Jr. "The Cannes Titles Buyers And Sellers Are Buzzing About". Deadline. Retrieved 2017-09-05.