Michael Murphy (singer)
|Born||4 September 1986|
|Origin||Taupo, New Zealand|
|Associated acts||5star Fallout, Written By Wolves|
Michael Murphy (born Michael Sean D'Arcy Murphy on 4 September 1986, in Taupo, New Zealand) is a singer and runner-up winner of the 2004 New Zealand Idol (NZ Idol). He was ultimately beaten by Ben Lummis, who became his friend over the course of the contest.
After NZ Idol, Michael Murphy had signed to BMG records. Murphy's first single debuted at No. 1 and stayed a while at the top of radio charts. He gained a gold status for No Place to Land, his debut album. He then toured New Zealand, singing to sold-out audiences. With 5star Fallout, Michael toured New Zealand, the U.S. and English pubs.
Murphy was persuaded to enter the New Zealand Idol by his mother, Nikki.
In 2006, Murphy joined his 4 former Deadset bandmates to form the band 5star Fallout, with him as the lead singer. The band released a single, "Seasons", that has been well received by fans. The song won the "ZM deathmatch" seven times in a row. The band broke up a few years later.
Murphy appeared in the Theatre Company's production of RENT at the civic theatre in Auckland.
Coca-Cola Christmas in the Park
Murphy performed in the 2010 Christmas in the Park concert in Christchurch on 27 November and in Auckland on 11 December 2010, as one of 3 years performing the Christmas concerts. He performed "Rock'n'roll Christmas", "Livin' on a Prayer", and "Why Does Love Do This To Me" during these events.
|Date of Release||Title||Label||Charted||Country||Catalog Number|
with the NZ Idol 2004 finalists
|#3 (Gold)||New Zealand|
|2004||No Place to Land||BMG New Zealand||#22 (Gold)||New Zealand|
|2007||Say Goodnight||Charta Records Limited||New Zealand|
|2004||"Yesterday Was Just The Beginning of My Life"
with the finalists of NZ Idol.
|Homegrown||#4 (NZ)||Gold (NZ)|
|2004||"So Damn Beautiful"||No Place to Land||#1 (NZ)||Gold|
|2005||"Music Without A Song"||No Place to Land||Did Not Chart||-|
|2005||"How Good Does It Feel?"||No Place to Land||Did Not Chart||-|
- For the rest of Murphy's albums and singles in his group, see 5star Fallout.
Songs performed on NZ Idol
- Auditions: Don't Dream It's Over by Crowded House
- Heats: Drive by Incubus
- Contestants' Choice: Here Without You by 3 Doors Down
- Homegrown: Better Be Home Soon by Crowded House
- Disco: Play That Funky Music by Wild Cherry
- Ballad: Tears In Heaven by Eric Clapton
- British Invasion: Let Me Entertain You by Robbie Williams
- Soul: (Sittin' On The) Dock of the Bay by Otis Redding
- Rock: Rock and Roll by Led Zeppelin and Wherever You Will Go by The Calling
- 80s: Should I Stay or Should I Go? by The Clash and Angel of Harlem by U2
- Finals: Can't Take That Away (The NZ Idol Single) and One by U2
- IdolBlog - for upcoming Michael appearances, news and photos
- [2012 Blanket Man tribute song created by Leon Mitchell, sung by Michael Murphy, recorded and released by ZM radio http://www.zmonline.com/player/ondemand/blanketman-song]
- Ben Hana