|Born||Michael Samuel Neuberger
2 November 1953
London, United Kingdom
|Died||26 October 2013
Cambridge, United Kingdom
|Institutions||Laboratory of Molecular Biology|
|Thesis||Transducing phages for analysis of gene duplications (1978)|
|Doctoral advisor||Brian S. Hartley|
Born in London, he was educated at Westminster School, and then read Natural Sciences at Trinity College, Cambridge as a scholar where he obtained a Master of Arts; he then obtained a PhD at Imperial College, London.
He was a fellow of, and director of studies at Trinity College, Cambridge from 1985 and Professor of molecular immunology there since 2002. He supervised students reading the Natural Sciences Tripos in the fields of cell biology and biochemistry.
Awards and honours
He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society (FRS) in 1993 and was awarded their GlaxoSmithKline Prize in 2003. He also received the Novartis medal in 2002 and delivered the Novartis medal lecture, entitled "Antibodies: a Paradigm for the Evolution of Molecular Recognition" on 9 April 2002 at Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh.
He was the son of Albert Neuberger, the brother of James Neuberger, Anthony Neuberger, and David Neuberger, Baron Neuberger of Abbotsbury, and the brother-in-law of Julia Neuberger. He died of myeloma, a cancer of antibody-producing cells, at Addenbrooke's Hospital, Cambridge, on 26 October 2013.
- "Prof Michael Neuberger, FRS Authorised Biography". Debretts.com. Retrieved 2013-12-02.
- "Fellowship of the Royal Society 1660-2015". London: Royal Society. Archived from the original on 2015-07-15.
- Cattaneo, A.; Sitia, R. (2013). "Remembering Michael S Neuberger (1953-2013)". The EMBO Journal. 32 (24): 3112–3113. doi:10.1038/emboj.2013.251.
- "Michael_Neuberger Obituary". Medical Research Council. Archived from the original on 2015-12-08.
- Rajewsky, K. (2014). "Michael S. Neuberger 1953-2013". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 111 (8): 2862–2863. doi:10.1073/pnas.1401334111. ISSN 0027-8424. PMC . PMID 24532658.
- Gearhart, Patricia J.; Kelsoe, Garnett (2014). "A tribute to Michael S. Neuberger". Journal of Clinical Investigation. 124 (1): 3–5. doi:10.1172/JCI74366. ISSN 0021-9738. PMC . PMID 24382382.
- Neuberger, Michael Samuel (1978). Transducing phages for analysis of gene duplications (PhD thesis). University of London. OCLC 500526968.
- KJ Patel. "Michael Neuberger obituary". theguardian.com. Retrieved 2013-12-02.
- "Trinity College directory of Fellows". Retrieved 22 December 2010.
- Jones, P. T.; Dear, P. H.; Foote, J.; Neuberger, M. S.; Winter, G. (1986). "Replacing the complementarity-determining regions in a human antibody with those from a mouse". Nature. 321 (6069): 522–525. doi:10.1038/321522a0. PMID 3713831.
- "Protein and Nucleic Acid Chemistry Division". MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology. 2013-10-17. Retrieved 2013-12-02.
|This article about a British biochemist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|