Nyqvist in 2013
Rolf Åke Mikael Nyqvist|
8 November 1960
27 June 2017 (aged 56)|
Catharina Ehrnrooth (m. 1990)
Rolf Åke Mikael Nyqvist (Swedish: [²nyːkvɪst]; 8 November 1960 – 27 June 2017), better known as Michael Nyqvist, was a Swedish actor. Educated at the School of Drama in Malmö, he became well known for playing police officer Banck in the first series of Martin Beck films made in 1997, and later for his leading role in the film Grabben i graven bredvid in 2002. He was most recognized internationally for his role in the acclaimed Millennium series as Mikael Blomkvist, as well as the lead villains in Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol (as Kurt Hendricks) and John Wick (as Viggo Tarasov). In 2004, he played the leading role in the Academy Award-nominated Best Foreign Film As It Is in Heaven.
Rolf Åke Mikael Nyqvist was born on 8 November 1960 in Stockholm, the son of a Swedish mother and an Italian father (from Florence). As a young child, he was adopted from an orphanage. At age 17, he spent a year as an exchange student in Omaha, Nebraska. He took his first acting classes there, as a senior in high school; he played, amongst other things, a small part in the drama Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller. When he returned to Sweden, he was accepted at ballet school, but gave it up after one year. An ex-girlfriend suggested he try theatre instead, and at 24 he was accepted to the Malmö Theatre Academy.
Nyqvist's first major role was as police officer John Banck in the first set of Beck films in 1997. His first big breakthrough came in 2000 with the film Together directed by Lukas Moodysson. The movie achieved great international success and earned Nyqvist his first Guldbagge Best Actor nomination for his role as a misguided husband with anger issues. He later played the leading man in the Swedish romantic comedy, Grabben i graven bredvid directed by Kjell Sundvall. Nyqvist won a Guldbagge Best Actor award for his role as the farmer, Benny.
In 2004, he played the lead role as Daniel Daréus, a conductor and musician, in the Academy Award-nominated Best Foreign Film As It Is in Heaven, directed by Kay Pollak. In 2006, he starred in Suddenly directed by Johan Brisinger. In Suddenly, Nyqvist plays Lasse – a man who must come to terms with the sudden loss of his wife and son. In 2007, Nyqvist portrayed Swedish ambassador to Chile Harald Edelstam, who helped many people flee execution during and after dictator Augusto Pinochet's military coup in September 1973, in The Black Pimpernel.
He has garnered recent international attention starring as Mikael Blomkvist in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Swedish title: Män som hatar kvinnor), The Girl Who Played with Fire (Swedish title: Flickan som lekte med elden), and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest (Swedish title: Luftslottet som sprängdes) of Stieg Larsson's Millennium series.
He starred in Abduction (2011), directed by John Singleton. He was also part of the permanent ensemble at the Royal Dramatic Theatre. Nyqvist appeared in the 2011 action thriller Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol, the fourth film of the series, directed by Brad Bird. In the film, Nyqvist portrays a madman code-named 'Cobalt', who wants to instigate a global war between Russia and the United States that he believes will restore ecological balance to the planet. In 2014, he appeared in John Wick as the antagonist, a New York Russian mob boss who is forced to protect his son from a legendary hit man played by Keanu Reeves.
Nyqvist described his childhood and his quest as an adult to find his biological parents in his autobiographical novel, Just After Dreaming (Swedish title: När barnet lagt sig). In 1990, he married the Finnish scenographer Catharina Ehrnrooth (born 1969). They had two children, Ellen (born 1991) and Arthur (born 1996).
- "Michael Nyqvist, 'Dragon Tattoo' Star, Dies at 56". Retrieved 27 June 2017.
- "Tatt's Sweden's underbelly". couriermail.com.au. Retrieved 27 June 2017.
- "Swedish star Michael Nyqvist's beautiful personal drama". Vancouver Observer. 14 December 2010. Retrieved 3 February 2015.
- Haag, Matthew (27 June 2017). "Michael Nyqvist, a Star in 'John Wick' and the Swedish 'Dragon Tattoo,' Dies at 56". New York Times. Retrieved 29 June 2017 – via NYTimes.com.
- "Skådespelaren Michael Nyqvist död - DN.SE". Dagens Nyheter. 27 June 2017. Retrieved 29 June 2017.
- Bucher, Chris (27 June 2017). "Catharina Ehrnrooth, Michael Nyqvist's Wife: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know". Heavy.com. Retrieved 29 June 2017.
- "Mikael Nyqvist död berör stora delar av världen". Expressen. Retrieved 29 June 2017.
- "Michael Nyqvist – lika trevlig som han var begåvad". Aftonbladet. Retrieved 29 June 2017.
- "Skådespelaren Michael Nyqvist är död i cancer – blev 56 år". Expressen. Retrieved 29 June 2017.
- "Michael Nyqvist – Guldbaggen 2017". Guldbaggen. Retrieved 29 June 2017.
- Poehler, Greg [@GregPoehler] (27 June 2017). "If the measure of an actor is the impression made on the audience, well, then Michael Nyqvist is the greatest of all time. Sweden mourns" (Tweet). Retrieved 5 July 2017 – via Twitter.
- News, ABC. "'John Wick,' 'Dragon Tattoo' star Michael Nyqvist dies at 56". ABC News. Retrieved 27 June 2017.
- Stedman, Alex (27 June 2017). "Michael Nyqvist, 'Girl With the Dragon Tattoo' Star, Dies at 56". Variety.com. Retrieved 29 June 2017.
- "Michael Nyqvist talks about "Suddenly" - Cinema Without Borders". cinemawithoutborders.com. Archived from the original on 6 August 2016. Retrieved 29 June 2017.
- The black pimpernell Retrieved 29 June 2017
- Nevins, Jake (28 June 2017). "Swedish actor Michael Nyqvist, of Dragon Tattoo and John Wick, dies at 56". The Guardian. Retrieved 29 June 2017 – via The Guardian.
- Erfors, Staffan (11 June 2010). "Michael Nyqvist aktuell för Hollywoodfilm". Dagens Media (in Swedish). Retrieved 28 September 2010.
- Søndberg, Ole (26 April 2010). "Michael Nyqvist to star in The Man From Beijing". YellowBird (in Swedish). Retrieved 28 September 2010.
- Nyheter, SVT. "Skådespelaren Michael Nyqvist är död". Sveriges Television. Retrieved 29 June 2017.
- Sneider, Jeff (24 September 2010). "Update: 'Dragon Tattoo' Star Michael Nyqvist Will Play Villain in 'M:I:4'". The Wrap. California. Retrieved 24 September 2010.
- Ebert, Roger (14 December 2011). "Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol Movie Review (2011)". Roger Ebert. Retrieved 3 February 2015.
- "Michael Nyqvist: "Jag höll på att förblöda"". Expressen. Retrieved 29 June 2017.
- ""Jag var en svår jävel"". Retrieved 29 June 2017.
- Hällsten, Annika (29 June 2017). "Grabben som tog farväl". Hufvudstadsbladet (in Swedish). p. 24.
- "Catarina Nyqvist". Daily Entertainment News (DN). 14 March 2013. Retrieved 5 October 2013.
- "Skådespelaren Michael Nyqvist död". Dagens Nyheter (in Swedish). 27 June 2017. Retrieved 27 June 2017.
- "Michael Nyqvist - Filmpunkten". www.filmpunkten.se. Retrieved 29 June 2017.
- Staff, Hollywood.com (6 February 2015). "Michael Nyqvist - Biography and Filmography - 1960". Retrieved 29 June 2017.
- Spindler, Ylva Lagercrantz. "Tvivlet spelar huvudrollen (SvD Premium)". Retrieved 29 June 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Michael Nyqvist.|
- Michael Nyqvist on IMDb
- Michael Nyqvist at the Royal Dramatic Theatre
- Larsson Trilogy from Quercus, publishers of Stieg Larsson
- The official Millennium site of Nordstedt Publishing (in Swedish)
- The Michael Nyqvist Archives – English-language website on his career