Michael Petroni is an Australian film writer and director.
Petroni worked in the early 1990s as a comedy writer and performer on Australian television, and appeared as "Psycho Bob", an American serial killer character, in The Big Gig and DAAS Kapital (with the Doug Anthony All Stars).
In 1994, he moved to Los Angeles to study screenwriting at the AFI Conservatory, from which he graduated in 1996. During his time at the AFI, he wrote his first feature film script, Till Human Voices Wake Us which he subsequently directed as a feature film starring Guy Pearce and Helena Bonham Carter, winning several awards for the script.
Since his debut, Petroni has also co-written The Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys (2002), Queen of the Damned (2002) and Possession (2009), an English language adaptation of the Korean film Addicted. He also co-created the 2003 TV series Miracles with Richard Hatem, with the series based on his unfilmed movie script A Course in Miracles which had been in development since 1998 with Jerry Zucker and later Russell Crowe attached to direct.
On 26 February 2008, Variety reported that Petroni was writing the script for The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, the third installment in The Chronicles of Narnia franchise. Recently, he wrote the screenplay for exorcism horror movie The Rite based on the book by Matt Baglio. In March 2013, Screen Australia announced that it would be funding an Australian supernatural thriller, Backtrack, which Petroni would write and direct.
Screenplay and writing credits
- Till Human Voices Wake Us (2002)
- The Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys (2002)
- Queen of the Damned (2002)
- Possession (2009)
- The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (2010)
- The Rite (2011)
- The Book Thief (2013)
- Backtrack (2015)
- DAAS Kapital (1991–1992; as "Psycho Bob")
- Masters of Horror (2006; episode "Pick Me Up" as Ambulance Attendant)
- Maddox, Gary: Writer finds his voice in Hollywood, The Sydney Morning Herald, 5 September 2002.
- Australian Film Commission: Films and Awards: Till Human Voices Wake Us
- Fleming, Michael: Zucker Touchstone's 'Miracles' worker, Variety, 12 January 1998.
- Lyons, Charles: Revolution inks Petroni for thriller, Variety, 3 August 2000.
- Michael Petroni writing next Narnia movie: Voyage of the Dawn Treader
- Holden, Stephen: Giving the Devil His Possessive Due, The New York Times, 27 January 2011.
- Quinn, Karl: Screen Australia finds money for ghost thriller, The Sydney Morning Herald, 5 March 2013.