Michael Pitt (civil servant)
He was previously chair of the Infrastructure Planning Commission, which has the role of considering planning applications for national infrastructure projects under the Planning Act 2008, and was appointed Chief Executive of the Planning Inspectorate on 1 April 2011.
Pitt graduated from University College London in 1970 with a first class honours degree in Civil Engineering. He has worked for the civil service, private sector and local government, with the majority of his career in County Council Technical Departments.
He was formerly the national President of the Society of Local Authority Chief Executives.
In April 2006, Sir Michael was appointed as Chair of the South West Strategic Health Authority (known as NHS South West), which oversees the operation of the National Health Service in the South West of England. He held the post until mid-2009.
On 8 August 2007 Sir Michael was appointed by the Secretary of State for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs to chair an independent review into the floods which affected parts of the United Kingdom in the summer of 2007. His final report was published in June 2008, and the government has since begun to implement his recommendations.
He has held a range of other appointments including the chairmanship of the General Medical Council’s National Revalidation Programme Board, and chairing two companies (Solace Enterprises Ltd and Swindon Commercial Services) and providing consultancy advice to a variety of public sector organisations. He is also a trustee of a family mediation charity in Wiltshire, Mediation Plus.
- (PDF) March 2014 http://www.legalservicesboard.org.uk/news_publications/LSB_news/PDF/2014/20140321_MoJ_Announces_Chairman_Designate_Of_The_LSB.pdf March 2014 Check
|url=value (help). Missing or empty
- "Commissioners". Infrastructure Planning Commission. Retrieved 3 August 2011.
- "Press release: New seamless arrangements for major infrastructure planning will ensure stability and a 21st century system". Department for Communities and Local Government. 10 March 2011. Retrieved 3 August 2011.
- "New Chair to head the NHS in the South West". NHS South West. 14 August 2009. Retrieved 3 August 2011.
- "The Pitt Review: Learning Lessons from the 2007 floods". Cabinet Office (archived by the National Archives). June 2008. Archived from [http:/archive.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/pittreview/thepittreview.html the original] Check
|url=value (help) on 2010-08-07. Retrieved 3 August 2011.
- "The Pitt Review - Lessons learned from the 2007 summer floods: progress reports". Environment Agency. Retrieved 3 August 2011.
- "Evidence on the Appointment of the Chair of the Infrastructure Planning Commission - House of Commons Communities and Local Government Committee". UK Parliament. 16 March 2009. Retrieved 3 August 2011.
- "Mediation Plus: Contacts and Trustees". Charity Commission. Retrieved 3 August 2011.
- "London Gazette, Issue 57665, Supplement page 1". 11 June 2005. Retrieved 3 August 2011.
- "London Gazette, Issue 58979, page 2575". 13 February 2009. Retrieved 3 August 2011.