Michael Price (composer)
||This biographical article is written like a résumé. (January 2013)|
Michael Price - portrait by Alexander Schneider - taken at Vox-Ton in Berlin
Michael's music career began with the Tonmeister course at Surrey University, where he won the PRS composition prize in 1990. After writing a number of scores for contemporary dance, he became Musical Director of DNA Dance and Music, whose projects included the arts council funded chamber opera "All the Garden Gold", based on the life of William Morris and the Pre-Raphaelite movement.
Michael's first film work was in 1996, when he was invited by Michael Kamen to orchestrate and program electronic sounds for the Paramount film Event Horizon. This led to a 5-year working relationship encompassing a number of film scores in London, LA and Prague, and concerts in Berlin, New York, San Francisco and Geneva. Following the production of the score to Band of Brothers, Michael was approached to music edit on The Fellowship of the Ring for New Line Cinema.
In addition to composing for Zentropa's "Dommeren" and Slingshot Studios' Sugarhouse he scored 2 documentaries for famous producer and director Alfonso Cuarón; The Possibility of Hope, and Naomi Klein's The Shock Doctrine, both in 2007. Michael met Cuaron when he scored additional music for the Academy Award winning feature Children of Men, working with Cuaron as music editor.
Michael has also worked with fellow composer David Arnold, with whom he has written and arranged on a number of projects, including Edgar Wright's Hot Fuzz and Sherlock, the BBC television series created by Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss, that premiered on BBC1 on 25 July 2010. Michael and David also co-composed the music for ITV's Jekyll and Hyde television series which premiered in October 2015.
Prior to work as a composer, Michael worked as a music editor with films including Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings trilogy, Richard Curtis' Love Actually, Bridget Jones: The Edge Of Reason and Nanny McPhee. As a music editor, Michael has been nominated for 4 MPSE Golden Reel Awards, winning in 2001 for The Fellowship of the Ring.
Michael also composed the score for the film Wild Target, a romantic comedy directed by Jonathan Lynn and starring Bill Nighy, Emily Blunt, Martin Freeman, Rupert Everett and Rupert Grint. This commission followed Michael's score for Wild Child, Working Title's teen film released in the UK in 2009.
- Sherlock - The Abominable Bride
- Just Jim
- Jekyll and Hyde
- Sherlock Season 3
- The Inbetweeners 2
- Big School
- Gangsta Granny
- The Tractate Middoth
- Another Me
- Sherlock Season 2
- Mr Stink
- My Brother Marvin
- A Fantastic Fear of Everything
- Cheerful Weather for the Wedding
- Sherlock Season 1
- H. G. Wells' The First Men in the Moon
- 7 Lives
- "Wild Target"
- "The Mountain Within"
- Wild Child
- "Swan Song"
- "Agent Crush"
- Crooked House (TV)
- "Outlaw Births (TV)"
- The Shock Doctrine
- Hot Fuzz
- The Possibility of Hope
- Blind Date
- Eight Percent
- Dommeren (aka "The Judge")
- Some Things That Stay
- LD50 Lethal Dose
- Ashes And Sand
- Children of Men
- The Last Legion
- Children of Men
- Nanny McPhee
- 'Bridget Jones: The Edge Of Reason
- Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King
- Love Actually
- Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers
- The Truth About Charlie
- The Time Machine
- Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring
- A Stillness (EP/Erased Tapes)
- Entanglement (Album/Erased Tapes)
- The Mountain Within (conductor/music producer)
- The Da Vinci Code (booth reader)
- Coldcut – Sound Mirrors (collaborator and arranger for title track)
- 'Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron (music assistant)
- Band Of Brothers (music co-producer/programmer/orchestrator/conductor)
- Lara Croft: Tomb Raider (music co-producer)
- X-Men (music co-producer)
- Frequency (music assistant)
- The Iron Giant (music co-producer/programmer)
- Metallica – S&M (music preparation/concert co-producer/audio pre-production)
- B.Monkey (programmer)
- what Dreams May Come (music co-producer)
- From The Earth To The Moon (music co-producer)
- The Winter Guest (music co-producer)
- Event Horizon (music co-producer)
- "Michael Price Music". Retrieved 3 January 2010.
- "BBC Film Network". Retrieved 3 January 2010.
- "Michael Price Co-Scoring ITV’s ‘Jekyll & Hyde’". Film Music Reporter. 10 August 2015. Retrieved 20 December 2015.
- "HotHouse Music". Retrieved 3 January 2010.
- "Magazine Article". Record. 11 November 2011.
- "Michael Price on IMDb". Retrieved 20 April 2016.