Michael Proctor (academic)
Michael Richard Edward Proctor
19 September 1950
|Alma mater||Trinity College, Cambridge|
|Awards||Doctor of Science (1995) |
Fellow of the Royal Society (2006)
Fellow of the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications (2007)
|Institutions||University of Cambridge|
|Doctoral advisor||Keith Moffatt|
Michael Richard Edward Proctor, FRS, FIMA, FRAS (born 19 September 1950) is a British physicist, mathematician, and academic. He is Professor of Astrophysical Fluid Dynamics at the University of Cambridge and, since his election in 2013, the Provost of King's College, Cambridge.
Proctor was born on 19 September 1950. The son of a farmer, he grew up in Spalding, Lincolnshire. He was educated at Shrewsbury School  and won a scholarship to study mathematics at Trinity College, Cambridge, and matriculated at the college in 1968. He achieved a distinction in the final part of the Mathematical Tripos and graduated in 1972 with a Master of Mathematics (MMath) degree. He remained at the University of Cambridge to undertake postgraduate research under the supervision of H. K. Moffatt. He completed his Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degree in 1975.
In 1974, Proctor was elected a Fellow of Trinity College, Cambridge. From 1975 to 1977, he was a postdoctoral researcher and assistant professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He returned to the University of Cambridge in 1977 as an assistant lecturer in the Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics. In the same year he was appointed a college lecturer at Trinity College, Cambridge. He served as a tutor at Trinity from 1979 to 1991, and from 1992 to 1994. At university level, he was promoted to lecturer in 1982.
He was promoted to Reader in 1994. In the same year, he was elected Dean of Trinity College. In 2000, he was appointed Professor of Astrophysical Fluid dynamics. He was elected Vice-Master of Trinity College in 2006. In 2012, he was elected Provost of King's College, Cambridge. He moved from Trinity to King's to take up the position at the start of the 2013 academic year.
In 1977, Proctor was elected Fellow of the Royal Astronomical Society (FRAS). He was awarded a Doctor of Science (ScD) degree by the University of Cambridge in 1995. He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society (FRS) in 2006, and as a Fellow of the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications (FIMA) in 2007.
- "Michael Richard Edward PROCTOR". People of Today. Debrett's. Archived from the original on 24 September 2015. Retrieved 3 May 2014.
- "Michael Proctor ScD FRS FIMA". Personal website. Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics. Retrieved 2014-05-03.
- "Michael Richard Edward Proctor: Curriculum Vitae" (pdf). Retrieved 2014-05-03.
- "New Provost-elect of the College". News. King's College, Cambridge. 2012. Retrieved 2014-05-03.
- "Professor Michael Proctor". People. Department of Pure Mathematics and Mathematical Statistics. Retrieved 2014-05-03.
- "Awards and prizes". University of Cambridge. 2006. Retrieved 2014-05-03.
- "Current Fellows". Fellowship of the Royal Society. Royal Society. Retrieved 2014-05-03.
| Provost of King's College, Cambridge
2013 to present