|Sir Michael Rake|
Sir Michael Rake at the World Economic Forum on Europe and Central Asia held in Vienna, Austria, 8 June 2011
|Born||Michael Derek Vaughan Rake
17 January 1948
Rugby, Warwickshire, England
|Occupation||Chairman, BT Group|
|Spouse(s)||Julia Cook (1970)
Caroline Thomas (1986)
|Parent(s)||Derek Shannon Vaughan Rake
Sir Michael Derek Vaughan Rake (born 17 January 1948) is a British businessman, he is chairman of BT Group, chairman of Worldpay and a director of S&P Global. He served as president of the CBI from 2013 until 2015.
Rake was born in Rugby on 17 January 1948, the son of Derek Shannon Vaughan Rake and Rosamond née Barrett. He went to prep school in Devon, followed by Wellington College. He qualified as a chartered accountant.
He joined KPMG in 1974, and worked in continental Europe before transferring to the Middle East to run the practice for three years in 1986. He transferred to London in 1989, became a member of the UK board in 1991, had a number of leadership roles in the UK before being elected UK Senior Partner in 1998. He was Chairman of KPMG in Europe and Senior Partner of KPMG in the United Kingdom, prior to his appointment as chairman of KPMG International in May 2002, in which capacity he served till September 2007.
Rake was chairman of Business in the Community from 2004–2007 and a member of the board of the Prince of Wales International Business Leaders Forum between 1998–2007. He was chairman of easyJet from 2010 to April 2013.
Rake is a vice president of the RNIB, a member of the board of the TransAtlantic Business Dialogue, the Chartered Management Institute, the DTI’s US/UK Regulatory Taskforce, the Advisory Council for Business for New Europe, the Ethnic Minority Employment Taskforce, an Association Member of BUPA, The School of Oriental and African Studies advisory board, the advisory board of the Judge Institute at the University of Cambridge, Senior Adviser for Chatham House and the Global Advisory Board of the Oxford University Centre for Corporate Reputation. Rake is also a governor of Wellington College and a board member of Guards Polo Club. Rake was on the board of Barclays from 2008 to December 2015; he was promoted to deputy chairman in 2012, but turned down the offer to become chairman.
He is married with four children and five stepchildren, and was knighted in 2007.
- "Michael Rake Profile". Forbes.com. Forbes. Retrieved 8 August 2009.[not in citation given]
- "Business profile". Daily Telegraph. 25 February 2007. Retrieved 7 December 2012.
- "Michael Derek Vaughan Rake worked in KPMG till 2007". www.flixens.com. Retrieved 22 July 2016.
- "MENTORS". Retrieved 4 April 2016.
- "easyJet board of Directors". Retrieved 22 April 2012.
- "Barclays chairmanship turned down by Sir Michael Rake". BBC News. 23 July 2012. Retrieved 17 March 2016.
- "About The Prince of Wales's Charitable Foundation". The Prince of Wales's Charitable Foundation. Retrieved 17 March 2016.
- Harrington, Ben. "Sir Mike Rake named head of the CBI". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 17 March 2016.
- Meyer, David (19 February 2007). "Rake to succeed Bland at BT helm". ZDNet. Retrieved 21 February 2014.