Michael Reid (journalist)
Michael Reid (born 1952) is a journalist, writer and commentator on Latin American and Iberian affairs.
Life and work
Born in Britain, he studied Politics, Philosophy and Economics at Balliol College, Oxford. He has been a staff journalist with The Economist since 1994. He currently writes the Bello column on Latin America and is The Economist’s writer-at-large for the region, based in Lima, Peru. Between 1999 and December 2013 he was the weekly's Americas editor, overseeing coverage of Latin America, the Caribbean and Canada.
He started as a freelance journalist based in Lima in 1982, covering the Andean countries for The Guardian and the BBC among other media outlets. He began writing for The Economist in 1990 as Mexico and Central America Correspondent and in 1994 changed to cover consumer industries. Between 1996 and 1999 he was the São Paulo Bureau Chief. Between 2000 and 2004 he also wrote a weekly column for Valor Econômico of Brazil and until 2013 wrote a monthly column for Poder magazine of Mexico.
His books include "Forgotten Continent: The Battle for Latin America's Soul" (2007) and "Brazil: The Troubled Rise of a Global Power" (April 2014). He has been awarded the Maria Moors Cabot Prize by Columbia’s University’s Graduate School of Journalism and Brazil’s Order of the Southern Cross.
Michael Reid is a frequent speaker on Latin American affairs. He has been interviewed for television, radio and print outlets, including CNN, BBC World TV, NPR, Globo (Brazil) and El País (Spain). He has given testimony to the United States Senate Foreign Relations Committee and the Foreign Affairs Committee of the British House of Commons.
- Forgotten Continent: The Battle for Latin America's Soul. Yale University Press. 2007. ISBN 9780300116168
- Brazil: The Troubled Rise of a Global Power. Yale University Press. 2014. ISBN 9780300165609
- "Media directory". The Economist. Retrieved 7 June 2014.
- "Columbia News". Columbia University. 7 July 2003. Retrieved 7 June 2014.
- "The Economist". 27 April 2000. Retrieved 7 June 2014.
- "C-SPAN Video, US Senate Foreign Relations Subcommittee on Western Hemisphere, Peace Corps and Global Narcotics Affairs". C-SPAN. 30 June 2011. Retrieved 7 June 2014.
- "UK House of Commons, Foreign Affairs Committee - Ninth Report, UK-Brazil Relations". UK House of Commons. 18 October 2011. Retrieved 7 June 2014.