Michael Robert Hogan
|Michael Robert Hogan|
Hogan in 2006
|Senior Judge for the United States District Court for the District of Oregon|
September 24, 2011 – November 1, 2012
|Chief Judge for the United States District Court for the District of Oregon|
|Preceded by||James A. Redden|
|Succeeded by||Ancer L. Haggerty|
|Judge for the United States District Court for the District of Oregon|
September 16, 1991 – September 24, 2011
|Nominated by||George H. W. Bush|
|Preceded by||New seat authorized by 104 Stat. 5089|
|Succeeded by||Michael H. Simon|
September 24, 1946 |
Oregon City, Oregon
|Alma mater||University of Oregon
Georgetown University Law Center
Michael Robert Hogan (born September 24, 1946) is a former judge with the U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon. He served as Chief Judge from 1995 to 2002. He was based at the Wayne L. Morse United States Courthouse in Eugene, Oregon. While he was chief judge, he was an influential force on the design of the new courthouse. He took senior status with the court on September 24, 2011 and retired on November 1, 2012.
Education and career
Hogan was a law clerk for judge Robert C. Belloni after getting his law degree. He then went into private practice in Portland before becoming a bankruptcy judge with the District Court in 1973. Later he continued with the district as a magistrate. On June 27, 1991, Hogan was nominated by President George H. W. Bush to a new seat on the United States District Court for the District of Oregon created by 104 Stat. 5089. Hogan was confirmed by the United States Senate on September 12, 1991, and received commission on September 16, 1991. He served as chief judge from 1995 to 2002, and took senior status on September 24, 2011. He then retired on November 1, 2012.
- "Judges of the U.S. Courts". Federal Judicial Center.
- "Wayne Lyman Morse United States Courthouse". Architectural Record.
- "Briefs". Oregon State Bar Bulletin. November 2011. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- "Hon. Michael R. Hogan". Learn About the Law (findlaw.com).
- Jack Moran, "Judge’s ‘senior’ role leads to vacancy: Michael Hogan shifts into semiretirement on the federal district bench", The Register-Guard (Friday, Oct. 7, 2011), page A1.
- Federal district judge refuses to apply arson mandatory minimum (on constitutional grounds?), Sentencing Law and Policy, October 31, 2012. Retrieved 12 January 2016.
- Michael Robert Hogan at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
- U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon (Official website)
|Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Oregon
Michael J. McShane