Michael S. Hyatt
The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for biographies. (April 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Hyatt's publishing career began at Word Publishing while a philosophy student at Baylor University. He started his own publishing company, Wolgemuth & Hyatt, with Robert Wolgemuth in 1986. In 1992, Word acquired Wolgemuth & Hyatt.
He was a literary agent from 1992 until 1998, after which he joined Thomas Nelson in 1998. Since then he has worked in a variety of roles in both divisional and corporate management. He was promoted to president and COO in February 2004 and CEO in August 2005. His tenure at the company ended when HarperCollins acquired Thomas Nelson in June 2012.
Hyatt now writes and speaks full-time. He has written seven books, including New York Times Best Seller Platform: Get Noticed in a Noisy World and the Wall Street Journal Best Seller Living Forward: A Proven Plan to Stop Drifting and Get the Life You Want (Baker Publishing Group).
He and his wife Gail live in Nashville, Tennessee.
He hosts the weekly podcast 'This is Your Life' dedicated to intentional leadership.
- The Y2K Personal Survival Guide (Regnery Publishing, 1998), A step-by-step recommendation to prepare if computers shut down on December 31, 1999.
- The Millennium Bug: How to Survive the Coming Chaos (Regnery Publishing, 1998), An exposé of a potential computer problem that was feared could shut down a number of systems at midnight on December 31, 1999 commonly referred to as Y2K.
- Y2K: The Day the World Shut Down (Regnery Publishing, 1998), a novelization about the potential crisis co-authored by George Grant.
- Platform: Get Noticed in a Noisy World (Thomas Nelson (publisher), 2012), Social media, blogging, public speaking, and book authoring are accessible tasks to everyone with a message.
- The Virtual Assistant Solution (Fleming House Publishers, 2013), Entrepreneurs and others who need part-time administrative support can employ a virtual assistant to handle those tasks.
- Living Forward: A Proven Plan to Stop Drifting and Get the Life You Want (Baker Books, 2016), Many move through life without purpose. The authors present a methodology to create a plan to reach one’s goals and dreams. Co-authored with Daniel Harkavy.
- Shave 10 Hours Off Your Work Week (Self-published, 2013), A reader fearing burnout can learn how to create more margin and be more productive at the same time.
- The Complete Guide to Literary Agents who Represent Christian Authors (Self-published, 2009), A methodology to discover, pitch, and work with a literary agent.
- Writing a Winning Fiction Book Proposal (Self-published, 2006), formatting and effectively writing a book proposal for a novel that publishing editors can respect.
- Writing a Winning-Non-fiction Book Proposal (Self-published, 2006), formatting and effectively writing a book proposal for a wide array of non-fiction books that publishing editors can respect.
- “Get Noticed Theme for WordPress” (Self-published, 2010), A set of computer code to be applied in the WordPress environment allowing an entrepreneur or company to develop a brand including product sales.
- “Get Published!” (Self-published, 2012), A 21-session audio course outlining the procedures and ideas for taking an idea from thought to published work.
- “Five Days to Your Best Year Ever” (Self-published, 2015), Non-traditional thoughts on goal setting and goal achievement.
- Fast Company magazine: “How Can You Tell If A Goal Is Achievable And Realistic?” (April 12, 2016)
- Inc. magazine: “The 15 Best Podcasts for Entrepreneurs” (March 21, 2016)
- Entrepreneur magazine: “7 Tips to Take Your Personal Brand to Celebrity Status” (February 5, 2016)
- Nashville Business Journal: “Meet Three Nashvillians Making Millions on the Internet” (January 8, 2016)
- American Management Association: “The 30 Most Influential Leaders in Business” (February 20, 2015)
- Inc. magazine: “Top 50 Leadership and Management Experts” (May 12, 2014)
- Inc. magazine: “100 Great Leadership Speakers for Your Next Conference” (December 16, 2014)
- Entrepreneur magazine “Top 25 Business Podcasts for Entrepreneurs” (December 3, 2014)
- Success magazine: “9 Podcasts to Enrich Your Mind and Soul” (January 29, 2015)
- Entrepreneur magazine: “50 Favorite Online-Marketing Influencers” (August 25, 2014)
- Forbes magazine: “Top 10 Online Marketing Experts to Follow” (February 28, 2014)