Michael Stewart Witherell
|Michael Stewart Witherell|
|Born||22 September 1949 (age 67)
Toledo, Ohio, U.S.
|Fields||Physics (high-energy particle physics)|
|Institutions||Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, University of California, Santa Barbara, Fermilab, Princeton University|
|Alma mater||University of Michigan, University of Wisconsin|
Witherell received in 1968 his bachelor's degree from the University of Michigan and in 1969 his master's degree and in 1973 his Ph.D. from the University of Wisconsin. From 1973-1981 he was on the faculty of Princeton University. He was a member of the physics faculty at the University of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB) from 1981 to 1999. Witherell served as the Director of the Fermilab from 1999 to 2005. In 2005 he returned to UCSB as the Vice Chancellor for Research, serving in that role until 2016.  In January 2016, the University of California appointed him to be the Director of Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. 
In 1985 Witherell led an experiment at Fermilab which was the first to isolate a large sample of particles containing the charm quark using the new technology of silicon microstrip detectors.  He received the 1990 Panofsky Prize from the American Physical Society for this research, and in 1998 he was elected to the National Academy of Sciences.
Witherell chaired the Fermilab Program Advisory Committee from 1987-89 and the SLAC Scientific Policy Committee from 1994 to 1996, and the High Energy Physics Advisory Panel (HEPAP) of the United States Department of Energy from 1997-99.  He chaired the Mathematical and Physical Sciences Advisory Committee (MPSAC) of the NSF from 2006-2008 and the National Academy of Science's Board on Physics and Astronomy from 2015-2016.
Awards and honors
- 1986: elected a Fellow of the American Physical Society
- 1988: Guggenheim Fellow for the academic year 1988–1989
- 1990: awarded the Panofsky Prize
- 1998: elected a Member of the National Academy of Sciences
- 2004: received the Gold Award of the US Secretary of Energy
- Michael S. Witherell | Array of Contemporary Physicists
- "UC names Michael Witherell to head Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory". Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.
- "Achievements of the Fixed Target Era (Ferminews, June 30, 2000)".
- Nelson, Marcia Z. (4 July 1999). "Power Couple: Michael, Beth Witherell Bring Professional Wattage To Their New Jobs". Chicago Tribune.
- John Simon Guggenheim Foundation | Michael S. Witherell
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Michael Witherell.|
- Berkeley Lab Director Michael Witherell
- Witherell's web page at the University of California, Santa Barbara
- Fermi News, March 1999, appointment of Witherell as Director of Fermilab
- Science Blog — Distinguished Physicist Michael Witherell Appointed Director of Fermilab
- with Helen Quinn: The asymmetry between matter and antimatter. Scientific American, October 1998
- Michael S. Witherell's profile and scientific publications on INSPIRE-HEP