Michael Sandberg, Baron Sandberg
The Lord Sandberg
|Unofficial Member of the Executive Council of Hong Kong|
|Born||31 May 1927|
|Died||2 July 2017(aged 90)|
|Spouse(s)||Carmel, Lady Sandberg|
Michael Kevin Sandberg
|Parents||Gerald Arthur Clifford Sandberg (1882-1954)|
Ethel Marian Ruddock (1882-1947)
|Alma mater||St Edward's School, Oxford|
Sandberg was born in Surrey and educated at St Edward's School, Oxford. In 1945 he joined the army and was commissioned 2nd lieutenant in the Royal Armoured Corps in 1946, and was promoted to lieutenant in November 1947. He later volunteered to join the Indian Army. Upon Indian independence he joined the First King's Dragoon Guards in January 1949.
In 1949 he joined The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation, becoming Chairman and Chief Executive in 1977. During his chairmanship the bank saw substantial international expansion, acquiring a 51% stake in Marine Midland Bank in the United States of America, establishing the Hongkong Bank of Canada in 1981 and HongkongBank of Australia Limited in 1986. As Chairman Sandberg was responsible for the construction of the landmark HSBC Main Building in Central, Hong Kong, which at the time was the most expensive building ever constructed in the world. Having been appointed an Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in 1977 and promoted to a Commander (CBE) in 1982, on retirement he received a knighthood for "public services in Hong Kong". On 2 October 1997 he was created a life peer in the House of Lords as Baron Sandberg of Passfield in the County of Hampshire. He retired from the House on 8 May 2015. He died on 2 July 2017 at the age of 90.
- "No. 37946". The London Gazette (Supplement). 1947-05-02. p. 2002.
- "No. 38136". The London Gazette (Supplement). 1947-11-28. p. 5692.
- "No. 38662". The London Gazette (Supplement). 1949-07-12. p. 3397.
- "No. 47234". The London Gazette (Supplement). 11 June 1977. p. 7101.
- "No. 49008". The London Gazette (Supplement). 12 June 1982. p. 17.
- "No. 50551". The London Gazette (Supplement). 13 June 1986. p. B2.
- "No. 50759". The London Gazette. 30 December 1986. p. 16784.
- "No. 54913". The London Gazette. 7 October 1997. p. 11279.
- "Lord Sandberg". Retrieved 8 July 2017.
- "Lord Sandberg, chairman of Hongkong Bank – obituary". Retrieved 7 July 2017.
- Debrett's Peerage. 2000.
- Lord Sandberg profile at the site of Liberal Democrats
| Chairman of The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation
Sir William Purves
P. G. Williams
| Chairman of the Royal Hong Kong Jockey Club
Sir Oswald Cheung