Michael Schmidt (agriculture)
In January 2010, Michael Schmidt was found not guilty on 19 charges relating to the sale of raw milk in the Ontario Court of Justice. On appeal to the Ontario Court of Justice, that decision was overturned. Schmidt was convicted on thirteen counts and imposed fines totaling $9,150 and one year of probation. A subsequent appeal to the Ontario Court of Appeal was dismissed.
In 2010, an injunction was granted against Schmidt barring him from distributing raw milk in British Columbia. In 2013, Schmidt was found guilty of contempt of that order and sentenced to 3 months of imprisonment, suspended for 1 year of probation. In 2015, his appeal was dismissed.
In 2011, Schmidt went on a five-week hunger strike to protest the judgements against him.
- U.S. raw milk advocates invite farmer on hunger strike to rally Toronto Star. 26 Oct 2011. (Accessed 1 Nov 2011)
- Postmedia News (30 September 2011). "Ontario farmer convicted in raw milk case launches hunger strike". National Post. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- "Hunger strike a needless waste of energy for raw milk crusader". Owen Sound Sun Times. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- Should raw milk be sold in Canada?
- "About Milk War - ichannel". ichannel. Archived from the original on 29 November 2014. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- Health Protection and Promotion Act, R.S.O. 1990, C. H.7, Sections 18(1), 18(2) and 100 (1) Milk Act, R.S.O. 1990, R. v. Schmidt 2010 ONCJ 9 CanLII
- R. v. Schmidt, 2011 ONCJ 482
- R. v. Schmidt, 2014 ONCA 188
- "Raw milk crusader Michael Schmidt ends hunger strike after meeting premier". Retrieved 21 November 2014.
|This biographical article about a Canadian activist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|