Michael Schutz is an Associate Professor of Music Cognition and Percussion at McMaster University. He received his Master of Music in Music Technology and Percussion Performance for studying the role of visual stimuli in musical performance from Northwestern University in 2004. In 2007 he received a Master of Arts in Psychology and later (2009) a Ph.D in Experimental Psychology from University of Virginia studying cross modal integration under the supervision of Dr. Michael Kubovy. His most recent research interests include auditory alarms and the emotional perception of music as Director of the MAPLE Lab. He has over 60 articles available on Google Scholar. His 2021 TEDx talk "Death By Beep" reviews one aspect of his ongoing research on applying musical insights into improving the design of medical device alert sounds.
In 2019 Dr. Schutz was appointed the Secretary of the Society for Music Perception and Cognition. Other accolades include the Penn State School of Music Alumni Award, the McMaster University Scholar Award, and becoming an Elected Fellow of the Psychonomic Society. He has also made media appearances on The Nature of Things, Quirks and Quarks, CHCH, and in many written articles. His professional website contains more information.
- Schutz, Michael; Gillard, Jessica (2020-06-12). "On the generalization of tones: A detailed exploration of non-speech auditory perception stimuli". Scientific Reports. 10 (1): 9520. doi:10.1038/s41598-020-63132-2. ISSN 2045-2322. PMC 7293323. PMID 32533008.
- Battcock, Aimee; Schutz, Michael (2019-09-01). "Acoustically Expressing Affect". Music Perception. 37 (1): 66–91. doi:10.1525/mp.2019.37.1.66. ISSN 0730-7829.
- "MAPLE Lab - The Music, Acoustics, Perception and LEarning Lab". MAPLE Lab. Retrieved 2020-07-14.
- "Michael Schutz - Google Scholar". scholar.google.ca. Retrieved 2020-07-14.
- Schutz, Michael, Death by beep? Bad sound design costs lives (and how to fix it), retrieved 2021-05-26
- "About the Society for Music Perception and Cognition". www.musicperception.org. Retrieved 2020-07-14.
- "Eight Arts & Architecture alumni to return to campus to receive awards on Nov. 1 | Penn State University". news.psu.edu. Retrieved 2020-07-17.
- "Six McMaster professors named University Scholars". Retrieved 2020-07-17.
- "Congratulations to Our New Fellows - Psychonomic Society". www.psychonomic.org. Retrieved 2020-07-17.
- "I Got Rhythm: The Science of Song".
- "Quirks and Quarks".
- CHCH. "Live interview with Michael Schutz".