July 26, 1940 |
Utica, New York
|Education||B.A., Dartmouth College, 1962
J.D., Virginia, 1965
LL.M., Georgetown, 1966
Michael Lawrence Slive (born July 26, 1940) is an American attorney and college sports executive. Slive is the former commissioner of the Southeastern Conference (SEC), a college athletics association. As part of his role as the SEC Commissioner, he served as the coordinator of the Bowl Championship Series for the 2006 and 2007 regular seasons. He was a member of the NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Committee through September 2009 and served as the chairman of the committee for the 2008–09 academic year. He retired as commissioner effective July 31, 2015.
A native of Utica, New York, Slive graduated from Dartmouth College with a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1962. He earned a J.D. from the University of Virginia School of Law in 1965 and an LL.M. from the Georgetown University Law Center in 1966.
Slive became the seventh commissioner of the SEC on July 1, 2002. He was the first commissioner of Conference USA from 1995 to 2002, and the first commissioner of the Great Midwest Conference upon its founding in 1991.
Early in his life, he practiced law in New Hampshire, serving as judge of the Hanover District Court from 1972 to 1977, and was a partner in a Chicago law firm. He was assistant director of athletics at Dartmouth College, assistant executive director of the Pacific-10 Conference, and director of athletics at Cornell University from 1981 to 1983. In 1990, he became senior partner and founder of the Mike Slive-Mike Glazier Sports Group, a legal practice specializing in representing colleges and universities in athletics-related matters.
- "SEC Commissioner Slive's Contract Extended". Southeastern Conference. 2005-09-15. Archived from the original on 2007-09-30. Retrieved 2007-07-11.
- "BCS Governance". Bowl Championship Series. 2007-01-17. Archived from the original on 2007-07-05. Retrieved 2007-07-11.
- The NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Committee
- "Slive Named NCAA Men's Basketball Committee Chair". Southeastern Conference. 2007-07-09. Archived from the original on 2007-09-27. Retrieved 2007-07-11.
- Retirement announcement
- "Slive Named Southeastern Conference Commissioner". 2002-07-02. Archived from the original on 2007-09-30. Retrieved 2007-07-11.