Sorrentino in 2013
July 4, 1982
Staten Island, New York City, New York, U.S.A.
|Known for||Jersey Shore; Jersey Shore: Family Vacation|
|Spouse(s)||Lauren Pesce (engaged)|
|Parent(s)||Frank Sorrentino (Father); Linda Sorrentino (Mother)|
|Relatives||Frank Sorrentino; Marc Sorrentino (brothers); Melissa Sorrentino (sister)|
Michael Sorrentino (born July 4, 1982), also known as The Situation, is an American television personality. He appeared on the MTV reality show Jersey Shore in all six seasons from December 2009 through its final episode in December 2012.
Sorrentino was a cast-member of Jersey Shore since its debut in 2009. Since appearing on that show, Sorrentino has been a guest on TV series including The Howard Stern Show, The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien, The Jay Leno Show, Lopez Tonight, SportsNation, Chelsea Lately, The Ellen DeGeneres Show, and Conan.
In January 2011, Sorrentino signed on to star as a judge in the YOBI.tv talent-show web series Random Talent. The name of the series was later changed to New Stage after the theme song title of the same name, written and performed by another New Stage costar Mykell.
Sorrentino made more than $5 million in 2010, the second highest of any other reality star after Kim Kardashian. This money was accrued through endorsements with Devotion Vodka, Reebok Zigtech shoes, as well as a ghost-written autobiography, a rap song, a workout DVD, a vitamin line for GNC, a clothing line, and appearances on Jersey Shore and Dancing with the Stars.
In March 2011 Sorrentino appeared on the Comedy Central Roast of Donald Trump. His performance became a point of mocking that the other roasters, like Jeff Ross, capitalized on. In August of that year, Sorrentino was offered a "substantial" sum of money by fashion retailer Abercrombie & Fitch not to wear the company's clothes. A spokesman for the company explained that "Mr Sorrentino's association with our brand could cause significant damage to our image." In November 2011, Sorrentino filed a lawsuit against A&F after they made shirts that read "The Fitchuation" and "GTL...You Know The Deal."
On February 22, 2012, Sorrentino appeared in a small cameo role on ABC's Suburgatory. In June 2012, he participated in Fox's dating game show The Choice. On August 15, 2012 he became a housemate on the tenth series of Celebrity Big Brother on Channel 5 and on September 7, 2012 he came in fourth on the series final.
In 2016 he was a participant on the 9th season of Worst Cooks in America.
In 2018, it was confirmed that a reboot of Jersey Shore, called Jersey Shore: Family Vacation, would air on MTV, with Sorrentino returning as a cast member.
He has two older brothers, Frank and Marc, and a younger sister named Melissa. Marc also serves as The Situation's manager and partner in MPS Entertainment.
On March 21, 2012, Sorrentino confirmed that he had checked himself into rehab "to get control of a prescription medication problem" he had with oxycodone. He checked out of the Cirque Lodge treatment center in Utah on April 4, 2012.
In September 2014, Sorrentino was charged with tax fraud, allegedly avoiding paying taxes on $8.9 million. According to the US Attorney, Sorrentino and his brother, Marc, established S corporations that paid for personal expenses and failed to report income. In April 2017, further charges were levied against Sorrentino and his brother, alleging tax evasion and the structuring of bank deposits to avoid reporting thresholds.
|2009–12||Jersey Shore||Himself||Cast member|
|2010||Dancing with the Stars||Himself||Contestant|
|2011||New Stage||Angel Adonis|
|The Roast of Donald Trump||Himself||Roaster|
|Celebrity Big Brother||Himself||Housemate|
|The Three Stooges||Himself|
|2015||Marriage Boot Camp: Reality Stars||Himself|
|2016||Worst Cooks in America: Celebrity Edition||Himself||Contestant|
|2017||Marriage Boot Camp: Reality Stars Family Edition||Himself|
|2018–present||Jersey Shore: Family Vacation||Himself||Cast member|
- "The Situation". UsMagazine.com. Archived from the original on September 16, 2017. Retrieved April 8, 2018.
- Itzkoff, Dave (August 31, 2010). "Comedy and Politics Mix in New 'dancing' Lineup". The New York Times.
- Wallace, Kelsey (November 17, 2010). "Bristol Palin and The Situation Bring Us the World's Most Awkward PSA". Bitch. Archived from the original on April 4, 2018. Retrieved May 10, 2013.
- "Reality Stars Head to YOBI.tv for Web Series". Extra. March 29, 2011. Archived from the original on April 8, 2018. Retrieved April 8, 2018.
- "Stars turn out in force for Bill Clinton's Birthday Bash; 'The Situation' Rakes in the Dough; Jay Leno Lends a Hand to the Gulf Coast". Kansas City Star. August 23, 2010.[dead link]
- "Dallas Chef Cut from 'Top Chef'; Mike 'The Situation' Sorrentino Rakes in the Dough". The Dallas Morning News. September 3, 2010. Archived from the original on September 4, 2010.
- "Jersey Shore star The Situation set to bring his famous abs to Dancing with the Stars". London: Daily Mail (U.K.). August 25, 2010.
- "Can this new protein-infused vodka help with bodybuilding? Ask The Situation". Toronto Life. August 31, 2010. Archived from the original on September 5, 2010.
- "The Situation? Ha! Call him the Corporation". MSNBC. August 23, 2010.
- Venutolo, Anthony (August 6, 2010). "'The Situation' releases rap tune". The Star-Ledger. Retrieved May 10, 2013.
- "Abs-fab! The Situation releases a workout DVD (that's if you REALLY want to look like him)". London: Daily Mail (U.K.). August 13, 2010.
- "Cast Announced for 'Dancing With the Stars'". Salt Lake City Tribune. August 30, 2010.
- "Here's The Situation: You can Soon Dress Like Him". MSNBC. August 10, 2010.
- "The 'Jersey Shore' Side Show: Money-Making Schemes Galore". ABC News. August 20, 2010.
- "Show Tracker". Los Angeles Times. March 17, 2011.
- Sweney, Mark (August 17, 2011). "Jersey Shore's The Situation offered cash not to wear Abercrombie & Fitch". The Guardian. London. Retrieved August 17, 2011.
- Holmes, Elizabeth (August 16, 2011). "Abercrombie and Fitch Offers to Pay 'The Situation' To Stop Wearing Its Clothes". The Wall Street Journal.
- "Mike 'The Situation' sues Abercrombie & Fitch over clothing dispute, report says". The Star-Ledger. Newark, NJ. November 16, 2011. Retrieved November 19, 2011.
- Hibberd, James (May 8, 2012). "Fox's 'The Choice' cast revealed! Joe Jonas, Dean Cain, The Situation, many more -- EXCLUSIVE". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved April 11, 2013.
- Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino joins Celebrity Big Brother 2012 Starcasm.net
- The Situation comes in fourth in the CBB final (in hindsight, we might even miss him a bit) Rachael Wheeler, Daily Mirror, September 7, 2012
- "Mike 'The Situation' Sorrentino in PETA Ad: 'Too Much Pu***y Can be A Bad Thing". HuffingtonPost.com. October 15, 2012.
- "'Jersey Shore' star The Situation launching new reality series — Exclusive". Entertainment Weekly. March 31, 2014. Retrieved September 13, 2016.
- Bentley, Jean (May 31, 2015). "The Situation's Girlfriend Wasn't Happy About His Jersey Shore Antics -- Marriage Boot Camp Stars Dish on Their Relationship". Us Weekly. Retrieved September 13, 2016.
- "'Jersey Shore's' Mike 'The Situation' Sorrentino Opens Up About His Relationship With Family", New York Post, October 4, 2010. Accessed February 12, 2018.
- Kara, Scott (September 2, 2010). "A Quick Word: Mike Sorrentino". The New Zealand Herald.
- "'The Situation' blames exhaustion for drug problem". CNN. March 21, 2012. Retrieved March 22, 2012.
- Everett, Cristina (April 5, 2012). "The Situation checks out of rehab". Daily News. New York City.
- Sorrentino, Mike (April 26, 2018). "The Future Mr & Mrs Situation". Mike Sorrentino verified Instagram page. Retrieved April 27, 2018.
- Longeretta, Emily (April 26, 2018). "Exclusive: Mike 'The Situation' Sorrentino Is Engaged to Lauren Pesce". Us Weekly. Retrieved April 27, 2018.
- "'The Situation' charged in fight at tanning salon". Associated Press. June 17, 2014. Retrieved June 17, 2014.
- "Here's 'The Situation': Jersey Shore's Mike Sorrentino Indicted On Tax Fraud Charges". Forbes. September 24, 2014. Retrieved September 28, 2014.
- "Reality Star 'The Situation' Hit With Additional Tax Fraud Charges". CBS New York. 2017-04-07. Retrieved 2017-04-07.
- Mordock, Jeff (2018-01-19). "'Jersey Shore's' 'The Situation' pleads guilty to tax fraud". The Washington Times. Retrieved 2018-01-19.
- "'Jersey Shore' star Mike 'The Situation' Sorrentino will face tax evasion sentencing this fall". New York Post. 2018-06-09. Retrieved 2018-06-11.