Sorrentino in 2013
|Other names||The Situation|
Big Daddy Sitch
|Education||Brookdale Community College|
|Known for||Jersey Shore|
Dancing with the Stars
Celebrity Big Brother
Jersey Shore: Family Vacation
Lauren Pesce (m. 2018)
|Parent(s)||Frank Sorrentino (father)|
Linda Sorrentino (mother)
|Relatives||Maximo Sorrentino (brother)|
Marc Sorrentino (brother)
Melissa Sorrentino (sister)
Michael Sorrentino (born July 4, 1982), also known as The Situation, is an American television personality. He is best known for appearing on all six seasons of the MTV reality show Jersey Shore, from 2009 through 2012.
In January 2019 Sorrentino began serving an eight-month prison sentence for tax evasion.
Sorrentino was a cast member of Jersey Shore, which debuted in 2009 and finished in 2012. Since appearing on that show, Sorrentino has been a guest on TV series including The Howard Stern Show, The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien, The Jay Leno Show, Lopez Tonight, SportsNation, Chelsea Lately, The Ellen DeGeneres Show, and Conan.
Sorrentino made more than $5 million in 2010, the second highest of any other reality star after Kim Kardashian. This money was accrued through endorsements with Devotion Vodka, Reebok Zigtech shoes, as well as a ghost-written autobiography, a rap song, a workout DVD, a vitamin line for GNC, a clothing line, and appearances on Jersey Shore and Dancing with the Stars.
In March 2011, Sorrentino appeared on the Comedy Central Roast of Donald Trump. Sorrentino's jokes were so bad that the crowd began to jeer him, prompting veteran roaster Jeff Ross to intervene and help Sorrentino. In August of that year, Sorrentino was offered ten thousand dollars by fashion retailer Abercrombie & Fitch not to wear the company's clothes. A spokesman for the company explained that "Mr Sorrentino's association with our brand could cause significant damage to our image." In November 2011, Sorrentino filed a lawsuit against A&F after they made shirts that read "The Fitchuation" and "GTL...You Know The Deal." This case however, was dismissed before proceeding to trial.
On February 22, 2012, Sorrentino appeared in a small cameo role on ABC's Suburgatory. In June 2012, he participated in Fox's dating game show The Choice. On August 15, 2012 he became a housemate on the tenth series of Celebrity Big Brother on Channel 5 and on September 7, 2012 he came in fourth on the series final.
In 2014, he appeared on a reality show with his family, which aired on the TVGN network. In the following year in 2015, he was a participant on the fifth season of Marriage Boot Camp: Reality Stars with his partner, Lauren Pesce.
In 2018, Sorrentino reunited with most of his Jersey Shore cast members in a reboot of the series titled, Jersey Shore: Family Vacation. The first and second seasons aired in 2018 with Sorrentino as a main cast member. It was confirmed in May 2019 that he will “be a huge part” of the third season, including documentation of his wedding, court sentencing, and events leading up to his jail time.
Sorrentino was born in the New York City borough of Staten Island and raised in Manalapan Township, New Jersey. He obtained an associate degree from Brookdale Community College and attended Kean University and Monmouth University.
He gained his nickname “The Situation” when a girl complimented his abs while walking with her boyfriend on a beach in New Jersey. The girl's boyfriend was angered by her complimenting another guy, and Sorrentino's friend joked that his abs were causing a "situation", or a problem between the couple.
Sorrentino worked as an assistant manager of a fitness center in Staten Island. When he was 25, he lost this job and began underwear modeling. He also began a short career in real estate during this time.
He has two older brothers, Maximo and Marc, and a younger sister named Melissa, who appeared as a bride in Say Yes to the Dress. Marc also serves as The Situation's manager and partner in MPS Entertainment, LLC, and Situation Nation, Inc.
On March 21, 2012, Sorrentino confirmed that he had checked himself into rehab "to get control of a prescription medication problem" he had with oxycodone. He checked out of the Cirque Lodge treatment center in Utah on April 4, 2012.
From 2004 to 2007, Sorrentino dated his college sweetheart, Lauren Pesce. They later reconciled, and on April 26, 2018, Sorrentino announced they had gotten engaged. They married on November 1, 2018.
In September 2014, Sorrentino was charged with tax fraud, allegedly avoiding paying taxes on $8.9 million. According to the US Attorney, Sorrentino and his brother, Marc, established S corporations that paid for personal expenses and failed to report income. In April 2017, further charges were levied against Sorrentino and his brother, alleging tax evasion and the structuring of bank deposits to avoid reporting thresholds.
On January 19, 2018, Sorrentino pleaded guilty to one count of tax evasion, as part of a plea bargain with prosecutors. Sentencing occurred on October 5 at the United States District Court of New Jersey in Newark.
On October 5, 2018, Sorrentino was sentenced to 8 months in prison. He also received two years of supervised probation, to begin after his release, and was ordered to undergo 500 hours of community service.
On October 22, 2018, an order was issued by United States District Judge Susan Wigenton extending the date for Sorrentino to surrender to the Federal Bureau of Prisons no earlier than January 15, 2019, or as soon thereafter as the Bureau of Prisons shall designate. Upon surrendering on January 15, the Bureau of Prisons designated that he would serve his sentence at the Federal Correctional Institution, Otisville, in Otisville, New York, as prisoner No. 66910-050.
On January 15, 2019, The Situation surrendered himself to the Otisville Federal Correctional Institution to begin his eight-month sentence for tax evasion. He is scheduled to be released on September 12, 2019. On January 17, 2019, Mike's brother Marc began serving a 2-year prison sentence at the Federal Correctional Institution in Fairton, New Jersey, which is located approximately 200 miles away from the Otisville Federal Correctional Institution.
|2009–12||Jersey Shore||Himself||Cast member|
|2010||Dancing with the Stars||Himself||Contestant (9th Place)|
|2011||New Stage||Angel Adonis|
|The Roast of Donald Trump||Himself||Roaster|
|Celebrity Big Brother||Himself||Housemate (4th Place)|
|The Three Stooges||Himself|
|2015||Marriage Boot Camp: Reality Stars||Himself|
|2016||Worst Cooks in America: Celebrity Edition||Himself||Contestant|
|2017||Marriage Boot Camp: Reality Stars Family Edition||Himself|
|2018–present||Jersey Shore: Family Vacation||Himself||Cast member|
- BroBible. "Mike 'The Situation' Sorrentino From 'Jersey Shore' Sentenced To 2 years In Prison".
- "Did the Jersey Shore Cast Go to College? — The Answer May Surprise You". August 15, 2017.
- "Mike 'The Situation' Sorrentino Marries Lauren Pesce". US Weekly. November 1, 2018.
- "The Situation". UsMagazine.com. Archived from the original on September 16, 2017. Retrieved April 8, 2018.
- Itzkoff, Dave (August 31, 2010). "Comedy and Politics Mix in New 'dancing' Lineup". The New York Times.
- Wallace, Kelsey (November 17, 2010). "Bristol Palin and The Situation Bring Us the World's Most Awkward PSA". Bitch. Archived from the original on July 29, 2011. Retrieved May 10, 2013.
- "Reality Stars Head to YOBI.tv for Web Series". Extra. March 29, 2011. Archived from the original on April 8, 2018. Retrieved April 8, 2018.
- ""New Stage" with Mike Sorrentino". Abrey Adams Photoraphy.
- "New Stage with Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino" – via www.ustream.tv.
- "Stars turn out in force for Bill Clinton's Birthday Bash; 'The Situation' Rakes in the Dough; Jay Leno Lends a Hand to the Gulf Coast". Kansas City Star. August 23, 2010.[dead link]
- "Dallas Chef Cut from 'Top Chef'; Mike 'The Situation' Sorrentino Rakes in the Dough". The Dallas Morning News. September 3, 2010. Archived from the original on September 4, 2010.
- "Can this new protein-infused vodka help with bodybuilding? Ask The Situation". Toronto Life. August 31, 2010. Archived from the original on September 5, 2010.
- "Jersey Shore's Mike Sorrentino's Net Worth down to $500,000, appearing in Marriage Bootcamp with girlfriend Lauren Pesce". Hitberry.
- "'Jersey Shore's' Situation to earn $5 mil in 2010". The Hollywood Reporter.
- "The Situation? Ha! Call him the Corporation". MSNBC. August 23, 2010.
- Venutolo, Anthony (August 6, 2010). "'The Situation' releases rap tune". The Star-Ledger. Retrieved May 10, 2013.
- "Cast Announced for 'Dancing With the Stars'". Salt Lake City Tribune. August 30, 2010.
- "Here's The Situation: You can Soon Dress Like Him". MSNBC. August 10, 2010.
- "The 'Jersey Shore' Side Show: Money-Making Schemes Galore". ABC News. August 20, 2010.
- "Show Tracker". Los Angeles Times. March 17, 2011.
- "Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino booed at Donald Trump's roast". www.cbsnews.com.
- "'Jersey Shore' Star Loses 'Fitchuation' Lawsuit to Abercrombie & Fitch". The Hollywood Reporter.
- "Abercrombie & Fitch Slams 'The Situation' in Detailed Lawsuit Response". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Sweney, Mark (August 17, 2011). "Jersey Shore's The Situation offered cash not to wear Abercrombie & Fitch". The Guardian. London. Retrieved August 17, 2011.
- Holmes, Elizabeth (August 16, 2011). "Abercrombie and Fitch Offers to Pay 'The Situation' To Stop Wearing Its Clothes". The Wall Street Journal.
- "Mike 'The Situation' sues Abercrombie & Fitch over clothing dispute, report says". The Star-Ledger. Newark, NJ. November 16, 2011. Retrieved November 19, 2011.
- Marcus, Reed Smith LLP-Stacy K.; Gabale, Sulina. "Jersey Shore star loses "Fitchuation" lawsuit to Abercrombie & Fitch - Lexology". www.lexology.com.
- Hibberd, James (May 8, 2012). "Fox's 'The Choice' cast revealed! Joe Jonas, Dean Cain, The Situation, many more -- EXCLUSIVE". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved April 11, 2013.
- Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino joins Celebrity Big Brother 2012 Starcasm.net
- The Situation comes in fourth in the CBB final (in hindsight, we might even miss him a bit) Rachael Wheeler, Daily Mirror, September 7, 2012
- "Mike 'The Situation' Sorrentino in PETA Ad: 'Too Much Pu***y Can be A Bad Thing". HuffingtonPost.com. October 15, 2012.
- "'Jersey Shore' star The Situation launching new reality series — Exclusive". Entertainment Weekly. March 31, 2014. Retrieved September 13, 2016.
- Bentley, Jean (May 31, 2015). "The Situation's Girlfriend Wasn't Happy About His Jersey Shore Antics -- Marriage Boot Camp Stars Dish on Their Relationship". Us Weekly. Retrieved September 13, 2016.
- "Meet Worst Cooks Celebrity Recruit Mike". Food Network.
- "Jersey Shore's Mike 'The Situation' Sorrentino Is 18 Months Sober After a Painkiller Addiction 'Spiral'". PEOPLE.com.
- "'Jersey Shore Family Vacation' Is A Reboot Miracle". May 7, 2018.
- Perrone, Kristen. "Here's What Fans Should Know About The 'Jersey Shore Family Vacation' Part 2 Finale". Elite Daily.
- "Vinny Guadagnino Teases 'Jersey Shore Family Vacation' Season 3". Entertainment Tonight.
- "Chris Christie says "Jersey Shore" cast members are from New York". @politifact. Retrieved December 6, 2018.
- "'Jersey Shore's' Mike 'The Situation' Sorrentino Opens Up About His Relationship With Family", New York Post, October 4, 2010. Accessed February 12, 2018.
- "20 Surprising Facts About 'Jersey Shore' Star, Mike "The Situation"". TheTalko. June 19, 2018.
- Kara, Scott (September 2, 2010). "A Quick Word: Mike Sorrentino". The New Zealand Herald.
- At the age of 25, he began working in the real estate industry.
- "Mike 'The Situation' Sorrentino expected to plead guilty to tax evasion". ABC News.
- "Michael 'The Situation' Sorrentino And His Brother, Marc Sorrentino, Sentenced To Federal Prison On Tax Charges". www.justice.gov. October 5, 2018.
- "Indictment" (PDF). cbsnewyork.files.wordpress.com. 2018. Retrieved May 8, 2019.
- "Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino Is Facing Five Years In Prison For Tax Evasion". BuzzFeed News.
- "'The Situation' blames exhaustion for drug problem". CNN. March 21, 2012. Retrieved March 22, 2012.
- Everett, Cristina (April 5, 2012). "The Situation checks out of rehab". Daily News. New York City.
- Sorrentino, Mike (April 26, 2018). "The Future Mr & Mrs Situation". Mike Sorrentino verified Instagram page. Retrieved April 27, 2018.
- Longeretta, Emily (April 26, 2018). "Exclusive: Mike 'The Situation' Sorrentino Is Engaged to Lauren Pesce". Us Weekly. Retrieved April 27, 2018.
- "Why Mike 'The Situation' Sorrentino Had a 'Fist Fight' with Brother Frank". ABC News.
- Griffith, Janelle (June 18, 2014). "Mike 'The Situation' Sorrentino on tanning salon fight: 'I had to clean house'". nj.com.
- "Here's 'The Situation': Jersey Shore's Mike Sorrentino Indicted On Tax Fraud Charges". Forbes. September 24, 2014. Retrieved September 28, 2014.
- "Reality Star 'The Situation' Hit With Additional Tax Fraud Charges". CBS New York. April 7, 2017. Retrieved April 7, 2017.
- Mordock, Jeff (January 19, 2018). "'Jersey Shore's' 'The Situation' pleads guilty to tax fraud". The Washington Times. Retrieved January 19, 2018.
- "'Jersey Shore' star Mike 'The Situation' Sorrentino will face tax evasion sentencing this fall". New York Post. June 9, 2018. Retrieved June 11, 2018.
- "Jersey Shore Star Mike 'The Situation' Sorrentino Sentenced to 8 Months in Prison". PEOPLE.com. Retrieved December 6, 2018.
- "Mike 'The Situation' Sorrentino leaves 'Jersey Shore' behind, begins prison sentence". Asbury Park Press.
- "Mike The Situation Sorrentino Begins His Prison Sentence". Eonline.com. Retrieved May 8, 2019.
- "The Situation's Brother Marc Begins His 2-Year Prison Sentence". January 17, 2019.