Michael Stedman (historian)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Michael Stedman was born in Salford in 1949 and graduated from the University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne after which he became a school teacher in Manchester for 24 years. He is married to a doctor, Yvonne, and has two sons who are a prison governor and a doctor. During the 1980s his first book, The Salford Pals, was published, followed in the early 1990s by The Manchester Pals.
He moved to Worcester in 1994, subsequently devoting his time to many projects most of which centre on the Great War's history. Since 1995 he has written numerous books on the history of the Great War including, Thiepval, La Boisselle, Fricourt, Guillemont and Advance to Victory in the Battleground Europe Series as well as Great Battles of the Great War which accompanied a Tyne Tees / ITV series of the same name.
Between 1999 and 2004 he was, along with Peter Simkins, one of the historical advisors to the Thiepval Project whose visitor centre opened during the autumn of 2004. That work focussed on the development of the display materials including maps and panoramas together with the scripting and production of the films which feature within the centre.
Michael has also worked with the BBC on the dramatic reconstruction of events on the Somme during 1916 ("Somme") - part of which was filmed in the Suffolk area and which portrayed the events which overwhelmed the Salford Pals during their assault on the village of Thiepval on the opening day of the battle.
He is currently developing an innovative DVD history project with Pen & Sword, the first part of which (Somme 1 July 1916 - An interactive tour of the Northern Somme Battlefield ) was published in late 2007. Somme 1 July 1916 - An interactive tour of the Southern Somme Battlefield will be published in late 2008.[needs update] The DVD series will expand into covering other areas and periods of the 1916 and 1918 Somme battlefields and thence to other areas of the Western Front.
- Advance to Victory 1918, Pen and Sword Books Ltd, 1999, ISBN 0-85052-670-1
- Fricourt-Mametz, Pen and Sword Books Ltd, 1997, ISBN 0-85052-574-8
- Great Battles Of The Great War, Pen and Sword Books Ltd, 1999, ISBN 0-85052-702-3
- Guillemont, Pen and Sword Books Ltd, 1997, ISBN 0-85052-591-8
- La Boisselle, Pen and Sword Books Ltd, 1997, ISBN 0-85052-540-3
- Manchester Pals, Pen and Sword Books Ltd, 2004, ISBN 1-84415-046-1
- Salford Pals, Pen and Sword Books Ltd, 2007, ISBN 978-1-84415-520-0
- Somme, 1st July 1916 DVD, Pen and Sword Books Ltd, 2007, ISBN 978-1-84415-709-9
- The Somme 1916, Pen and Sword Books Ltd, 2006, ISBN 1-84415-394-0
- Thiepval, Pen and Sword Books Ltd, 1997, ISBN 1-84415-350-9