Michael Strange (boxer)
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (May 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
August 6, 1970 |
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Michael "Mike" V. Strange (born August 6, 1970 in Niagara Falls, Ontario) is a retired boxer from Canada, competing in the light welterweight (< 64 kg) division. He represented his native country at three consecutive Summer Olympics, starting in 1992 in Barcelona, Spain.
To raise money for cancer awareness, Mike Strange started the Box Run. He began running from Thunder Bay, Ontario towards Victoria, British Columbia on April 12, 2012. He ran 81 dys of an average of over 40 km per day finishing his run on July 3, 2012 in Victoria at Mile Zero, 3149 km later.The BoxRun raised over $100,000 dollars for Childhood Cancer Canada and Mike continues to raise awareness and funds for the same organization and is currently doing motivational talks to both children and adults at www.boxrun.org.
On May 8, 2014, Mike started another run for childhood cancer, this time he ran 94 Marathons in 94 days from St. Johns NFLD to his home town of Niagara Falls in honor of Matteo Mancini, a boy who was Mike's inspiration from his first BoxRun, who lost his battle to cancer on May 8, 2013. Mike started this epic run, one year from Matteo's passing and continues to raise money for his new charity, named the Boxrun charitable Foundation for childhood cancer research.
1992 Olympic Games (as a Featherweight)
- Lost to Somluck Kamsing (Thailand) 9-11
1994 Commonwealth Games (as a Lightweight)
- Defeated Emmanuel Clottey (Ghana) 29-3
- Defeated Irvin Buhlalu (South Africa) 8-7
- Defeated Hassan Matumla (Tanzania) 11-6
- Defeated Kalolo Fiaui (New Zealand) 12-2
- Defeated Martin Renaghan (Ireland) 18-11
1995 Pan American Games (as a Lightweight)
- Defeated Benjamin Bucio (Mexico) 4-2
- Defeated Franklin Frias (Dominican Republic) 11-6
- Lost to Julio González (Cuba) 2-13
1996 Olympic Games (as a Lightweight)
- Defeated Francisco Martínez (Mexico) 15-1
- Defeated Mekhak Ghazaryan (Armenia) 16-7
- Lost to Tontcho Tontchev (Bulgaria) 10-16
1998 Commonwealth Games (as a Light Welterweight)
- Defeated Hassan Matumla (Tanzania) 21-7
- Defeated Kloba Sehloho (Lesotho) 21-1
- Defeated Davis Mwale (Zambia) 19-1
- Defeated Gerry Legras (Seychelles) 16-8
2000 Olympic Games (as a Light Welterweight)
- Lost to Nurhan Suleymanoglu (Turkey) 3-9
In 2014, Strange was elected to Niagara Falls City Council. Strange expressed interest in running for the Progressive Conservative Party of Ontario in the next general election, contesting Niagara Falls.
Strange previously owned the "Highland Tap" pub in Niagara Falls, Ontario for 21 years.