July 5, 1968 |
Long Beach, California, U.S.
|Alma mater||Juilliard School|
Michael S. Stuhlbarg (born July 5, 1968) is an American actor. He played organized crime boss Arnold Rothstein in the HBO series Boardwalk Empire, and troubled university professor Larry Gopnik in the 2009 dark comedy film A Serious Man.
Stuhlbarg was born in Long Beach, California, the son of Susan and Mort Stuhlbarg. He was raised in Reform Judaism. He trained at The Juilliard School in New York City, where he was a member of the Drama Division's Group 21 (1988–1992). He graduated from Juilliard with a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in 1992.
Stuhlbarg studied acting at the University of California at Los Angeles, the Vilnius Conservatory in Lithuania, the British American Drama Academy at Oxford, and the National Youth Theatre of Great Britain at the University of London. He also studied mime with Marcel Marceau.
Stuhlbarg appeared in several stage productions, including award-winning performances in Old Wicked Songs in 1996, Long Day's Journey into Night in 1997, and The Pillowman in 2005 (for which he won a Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Featured Actor in a Play and received his first Tony Award nomination). He has appeared in a number of television shows, including Law & Order, Ugly Betty, and The American Experience.
Since 2010, Stuhlbarg has played organized crime boss Arnold Rothstein in the HBO series Boardwalk Empire. His film credits had been limited to a handful of minor roles, including a lawyer in Body of Lies and a hedge fund consultant in Cold Souls, until the Coen brothers' 2009 dark comedy A Serious Man, in which he starred as troubled 1960s university professor Larry Gopnik. He was nominated for a Golden Globe.
|2006||Law & Order: Criminal Intent||Marcel Costas||Episode: "Slither"|
|2006–2007||Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip||Jerry||2 episodes|
|2006–2010||American Experience, TheThe American Experience||Various Characters||4 episodes|
|2008||Law & Order||Timothy Pace||Episode: "Bogeyman"|
|2009||Ugly Betty||Heinrich||1 episode|
|2010–2013||Boardwalk Empire||Arnold Rothstein||32 episodes
Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series (2010, 2011)
- According to the State of California. California Birth Index, 1905–1995. Center for Health Statistics, California Department of Health Services, Sacramento, California. Searchable at http://www.familytreelegends.com/records/39461
- Wloszczyna, Susan (October 11, 2009). "Michael Stuhlbarg: Coen brothers get their 'Serious Man'". USA Today. Retrieved December 16, 2009.
- "Michael Stuhlbarg". Broadway.com. Retrieved September 16, 2009.
- Grosz, Christy (September 13, 2009). "The Coens found Michael Stuhlbarg to be 'A Serious Man'". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved September 14, 2009.
- "Alumni News". The Juilliard School. September 2007. Archived from the original on 2011-11-11.
- "NOTABLE ALUMNI ACTORS". UCLA School of Theater, Film and Television. Retrieved September 29, 2014.
- "Michael Stuhlbarg". Back Stage. September 3, 1999.
- "Cast and Crew – Michael Stuhlbarg". FilmInFocus.com. Retrieved September 14, 2009.
- "Sony Pictures Classics Acquires Woody Allen's Blue Jasmine". Sony Pictures. January 8, 2013. Retrieved January 9, 2013.
- Michael Stuhlbarg at the Internet Movie Database
- Michael Stuhlbarg at the Internet Broadway Database