Michael Taylor (baseball, born 1985)
Taylor with the Oakland Athletics
|Born: December 19, 1985|
|September 2, 2011, for the Oakland Athletics|
|Last MLB appearance|
|September 28, 2014, for the Chicago White Sox|
|Runs batted in||1|
Michael David Taylor (born December 19, 1985) is an American former professional baseball outfielder. He played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Oakland Athletics and Chicago White Sox from 2011 through 2014.
Taylor was drafted by the Philadelphia Phillies in the fifth round of the 2007 Major League Baseball Draft out of Stanford University. At the end of the 2009 season, he was one of two players given the Paul Owens Award, for best pitcher and best position player (which went to Taylor) in the Phillies' farm system. He was also selected as the Eastern League Rookie of the Year while playing for the Reading Phillies.
On December 16, 2009, Taylor was traded to the Toronto Blue Jays with Kyle Drabek and Travis D'Arnaud in exchange for Roy Halladay. The Blue Jays immediately traded him to the Oakland Athletics for Brett Wallace. He spent the entire 2010 season at Triple-A Sacramento and played in the Arizona Fall League.
On September 2, 2011, Taylor made his major league debut with the Oakland Athletics, batting ninth and playing right field. In total, his brief 2011 stint with the A's included 11 games, 6 hits, 1 HR, 1 RBI and a .200 batting average.
Taylor was designated for assignment by the Athletics on March 29, 2014.
Chicago White Sox
On June 14, the A's traded Taylor to the Chicago White Sox in exchange for right handed pitcher Jake Sanchez. On October 24, 2014 Taylor was out righted to Triple A and later that same day he elected free agency. On January 22, 2015, Taylor resigned on a minor league deal.
On March 10, 2015, Taylor announced his retirement from baseball.
- "Michael Taylor Stats". Baseball Almanac. Retrieved December 10, 2012.
- "Michael Taylor Stats". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved December 10, 2012.
- Phillies Take Taylor in Fifth Round Archived May 2, 2009, at the Wayback Machine
- "Drabek, Taylor named Phils minor leaguers of year". Philly.com. Retrieved December 10, 2012.
- "Phillies complete Halladay deal". ESPN.com. December 17, 2009. Retrieved January 23, 2015.
- Mayo, Jonathan & Winston, Lisa (December 16, 2009). "Seven prospects involved in blockbuster". MLB.com. Archived from the original on December 20, 2009. Retrieved December 17, 2009.
- Stanford's Michael Taylor makes his debut with the Oakland Athletics
- Baer, Bill (March 29, 2014). "Athletics designate Michael Taylor for assignment". NBC Sports. Retrieved January 23, 2015.
- Joe, Stiglich (June 14, 2014). "A's trade outfielder Michael Taylor to White Sox". CSN Bay Area. Retrieved January 23, 2015.
- "Soto, Penny get minors deals". ESPN.com. Associated Press. January 22, 2015. Retrieved January 23, 2015.
- Adams, Steve (March 10, 2015). "Minor Moves: Michael Taylor, Kevin Vance". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved March 11, 2015.