Michael Umaña in Persepolis.
|Full name||Míchael Umaña Corrales|
|Date of birth||July 16, 1982|
|Place of birth||Santa Ana, Costa Rica|
|Height||1.83 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|Playing position||Centre back , Right back|
|2004–2005||→ LA Galaxy (loan)||15||(0)|
|2004–2005||Costa Rica Olympic||4||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 21 May 2015.
Míchael Umaña Corrales (born July 16, 1982 in Santa Ana) is a Costa Rican footballer who plays as a defender for Persepolis in the Persian Gulf Pro League and the Costa Rica national football team.
Umaña was released by Galaxy after the 2005 season after an unsuccessful campaign, and returned to Costa Rica to play for Brujas. He moved back to Herediano in 2006, but asked the club to be transferlisted after a move to Israeli side MS Ironi Ashdod fell through.
After winning the 2009 Torneo Verano of the Primera División de Costa Rica in with Liberia Mia, Umaña returned to the United States in 2010 to play for his former club's cross-town rivals, Chivas USA. Umaña scored his first goal with Chivas USA in a Superliga 2010 match against Puebla. Umaña spent the 2010 and 2011 seasons with Chivas USA.
On 17 August 2014, Umaña joined Persepolis after passing medical tests. He signed a two-year contract with the club and was given the number 4 shirt. He made his debut for the club on 25 August in 1–1 draw against Padideh.
Club career statistics
- As of 26 May 2015.
|Persepolis||2014–15||Persian Gulf Pro League||24||0||3||0||8||0||35||0|
He made his senior debut for Costa Rica in a June 2004 friendly match against Nicaragua and has, as of December 2014, earned a total of 87 caps, scoring 1 goal. He played at the 2005 UNCAF Nations Cup and the 2005 CONCACAF Gold Cup before becoming part of the senior squad for the 2006 FIFA World Cup qualification campaign. He played in all three of Costa Rica's group matches at the 2006 FIFA World Cup, as the team was eliminated without winning a point.
In June 2014, Umaña was named in Costa Rica's squad for the 2014 FIFA World Cup. In the team's team's first two group matches, he and his central defensive colleagues Giancarlo González and Óscar Duarte allowed only one goal as Los Ticos beat Uruguay (3–1) and Italy (1–0) to qualify for the knockout stage. During the round of 16, Umaña converted Costa Rica's decisive fifth kick in a 5–3 penalty shootout defeat of Greece. In the quarter-final against the Netherlands, Umaña was one of two Costa Ricans to have his kick saved by Tim Krul in a 4–3 penalty shootout loss.
- Scores and results list Costa Rica's goal tally first.
|1.||26 March 2013||Estadio Nacional, San José, Costa Rica||Jamaica||1–0||2–0||2014 FIFA World Cup qualification|
Umaña is the youngest of three brothers, his brother Erick played in the second division.
Los Angeles Galaxy
- Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup (1): 2005
- Major League Soccer MLS Cup (1): 2005
- Major League Soccer Western Conference Championship (1): 2005
- Umana arribo a Iran y espera definir su vinculacion con el Persepolis FC - Yashin Quesada (Spanish)
- Defensor se integró esta semana al Galaxy Umaña quiere saltar a Europa - Nación (Spanish)
- Michael Umaña negociará salida de Herediano - Nación (Spanish)
- Michael Umaña firmó con Liberia - Nación (Spanish)
- Michael Umaña fichó con el Chivas USA - Nación (Spanish)
- Serrano, Adam (4 January 20012). "Chivas USA part ways with Umana, three others". Major League Soccer. Check date values in:
- Saprissa ficha al defensor Michael Umaña - Nación (Spanish)
- FC Perspolis: Michael Umaña joins Persepolis
- FC Perspolis: Michael Umaña Register Conteract
- IranLeague: Persepolis Vs Padideh match Summary
- Michael Umaña – FIFA competition record
- Appearances for Costa Rica National Team - RSSSF
- CONCACAF Championship, Gold Cup 2005 - Full Details - RSSSF
- "Michael UMANA". FIFA. Retrieved 22 June 2014.
- "Costa Rica World Cup 2014 squad". The Telegraph. 2 June 2014. Retrieved 20 June 2014.
- "Uruguay 1-3 Costa Rica". BBC. 14 June 2014. Retrieved 22 June 2014.
- "Italy 0-1 Costa Rica". BBC. 20 June 2014. Retrieved 22 June 2014.
- "Costa Rica 1-1 Greece". BBC. 29 June 2014. Retrieved 30 June 2014.
- "Netherlands 0-0 Costa Rica". BBC. 5 June 2014. Retrieved 6 June 2014.
- Michael Umaña at National-Football-Teams.com
- 2006 World Cup profile - Nación (Spanish)
- MLS player profile
- Profile at Nacion.com (Spanish)
- All-Time MLS Player Register